• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Softened RO water

Maybe I can tee into the mains in my garage where the softener is and use mains untreated for my tank?
That would be a good option, usually other than chlorine/chloramine, there is nothing wrong with tap water in fish tanks, certainly a lot easier to work with than messing around mixing RO and its associated costs.

As your tank is so small, remineralised RO water would also be another option. Use instructions below to make your own remineralising mix, and ignore whatever your unit remineralises with, extra isn't an issue.
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/RO.htm

I have been thinking about this and I could have a solution. All plumbing for my house is in my garage and the garage is parallel next to my kitchen. I could quite easily plumb my cold water feed to my kitchen into pre water softener pipework. So I would have mains non softened water at my kitchen tap. It's also a 3 way tap and the 3rd being RO water, so my RO water would not be softened which I would not mind really it could even be better.

Your cold water feed in the kitchen shouldn’t be attached to the softener as you would use that for drinking/cooking.

Are you sure it is softened?

Your cold water feed in the kitchen shouldn’t be attached to the softener as you would use that for drinking/cooking.

Are you sure it is softened?

Yes it is. There is a RO unit under the kitchen sink attached to the cold feed to remove sodium for drinking and cooking.

Back