• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Soaking wood

James Burcham

My aquascape materials arrived yesterday and tank arrives today. I will be filling the tank with water to test for any leaks and filter failures.

Can I soak the wood in the tank without issue? I won't be planting the tank for about a month and a half.

My thoughts.
Wash then soak rock.
Soak the wood for a while.
Run all systems to test longevity of components.
Drain tank.
Setup hardscape.
Plant.

What are your thoughts?
20190611_195209.jpg

Wash then soak rock
I don't see any reason to soak, just give it a good scrub and it should be ready.
Run all systems to test longevity of components
I think it's a good idea to give everything a quick test before you set things up if you've not used it before, just remember to dry it all out fully.
Soak the wood for a while
If you have the time then giving it a scrub and soak for a while is always a good idea but will probably need weighing down and I'd change the water frequently.

Just my opinion.

It can take a while for the wood to absorb enough water to stop it floating. I’ve had a piece in soak in a trug in the garden for about a month now and it still wants to float!

I don't see any reason to soak, just give it a good scrub and it should be ready.

I think it's a good idea to give everything a quick test before you set things up if you've not used it before, just remember to dry it all out fully.

If you have the time then giving it a scrub and soak for a while is always a good idea but will probably need weighing down and I'd change the water frequently.

Just my opinion.

Yes I have plenty of time. I'm not rushing the process at all. I just figured I would kill a couple birds with one stone by running the tank for a few weeks or so with the wood weighted down in it before draining the tank hardscaping and planting.

Does this make sense or am I crazy? :crazy:

Yes I have plenty of time. I'm not rushing the process at all. I just figured I would kill a couple birds with one stone by running the tank for a few weeks or so with the wood weighted down in it before draining the tank hardscaping and planting.

Does this make sense or am I crazy? :crazy:
It makes sense to me, but that's just my opinion.
If you're soaking the wood in the aquarium I'd add some activated carbon to your filter if you can to help remove the tanins.

James. How's the soak going? I'm at the same stage you are; the largest components of the scape have sunk and are in the tank with my leak testing water. The smaller bits are soaking in a cooler out back; been in since July 3 and are still floaty. I'm using this time to play with the layout.

@Bon MotMot it went well. I got a little impatient and planted a few weeks after I posted this. I did get some fungus on the DW. In fact I still have some fungus on the DW. I ran across a video today that talks about running a hardscape without planting. Check it out.

Back