• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cycling with Increase in water volume (new tank)

Tucker90

Looking for some advice! Not sure this is the right place but;

Going from a 17L to 50L using same substrate, hard scape, plants filter, and media.

Will the tank be cycled with this increase in water or will I have to quarantine livestock and cycle the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure but I would imagine it depends on the size of your filter the fish bio load isn't increasing straight away just the amount of water passing through the filter
Cheers
Jay

Substrate??? If Amazonia you can expect some ammonia release so just go back to daily water changes for a week or so

Otherwise all should be fine

Filipe Oliveira just did a video on a tank rescape that has some great tips

Substrate??? If Amazonia you can expect some ammonia release so just go back to daily water changes for a week or so

Otherwise all should be fine

Filipe Oliveira just did a video on a tank rescape that has some great tips

Brilliant video!

Substrate is tropica so still a chance of it leaching ammonia!

I'm not sure but I would imagine it depends on the size of your filter the fish bio load isn't increasing straight away just the amount of water passing through the filter
Cheers
Jay

The filter is a 450lph HOB filter with two sponges and a lid of K1

The bio load is nothing, 4 shrimp, 4 danio margaritatus!

Yes but no where near as bad as Ada and didn't you say it was the same substrate so all ammonia should have gone already

I’ll be adding more because the tanks larger, but still using the old stuff as well!

I’ve never had measurable ammonia after scaping with Tropica Aquarium soil (note I tend to use the Powder only)
BUT
I do always have some filter media from previous/other scapes in filter

Previously when I also added Growth Substrate (1-2cm layer beneath Soil), Seachem Alert only detected very slight ammonia (again filter with some used media) - as I’d quickly setup the tank for Chocolate Gourami’s, I did water changes whenever the Alert displayed any ammonia (as I recall, 3 the first week, then no ammonia detected)

Tropica Growth Substrate - local shop observed some ammonia
Shop set up tank trio with ADA Amazonia, Tropica Aquarium Soil, Tropica Growth Substrate and monitored ammonia daily for 4-6 weeks, sorry I don’t have the details

I’ve never had measurable ammonia after scaping with Tropica Aquarium soil (note I tend to use the Powder only)
BUT
I do always have some filter media from previous/other scapes in filter

Previously when I also added Growth Substrate (1-2cm layer beneath Soil), Seachem Alert only detected very slight ammonia (again filter with some used media) - as I’d quickly setup the tank for Chocolate Gourami’s, I did water changes whenever the Alert displayed any ammonia (as I recall, 3 the first week, then no ammonia detected)

Tropica Growth Substrate - local shop observed some ammonia
Shop set up tank trio with ADA Amazonia, Tropica Aquarium Soil, Tropica Growth Substrate and monitored ammonia daily for 4-6 weeks, sorry I don’t have the details

Interesting! I have both powder and soil I plan on using as I bought the soil by accident!

I’m sure it’ll be ok! The bioload is very small and I will just carry out 20% water changes every day! Until I’m comfortable in the knowledge that it is cycled!

Back