• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What's wrong with my staurogyne repens?

Berendsen

Seedling
Hello fellow hobbyist,

I'm experiencing some problems with my Staurogyne repens. The leaves show a lot of holes and the plants look like something is feeding on them. The other plants seem to do fine. Some info about the tank:

Tank: 120x50x50cm (about 80 gallon)
Lightning: 2x AI prime freshwater
Filter: JBL greenline 1501
Co2 injection with atomizer
Flow: ecotech mp10
Heating: aquamedic titan
Dosing unit for Easycarbo & fertilizer (planted box all in one)
Chihiros Doctor nano 4

19x Paracheirodon simulans
20x Hyphessobrycon Amandae
10x Nannostomus marginatus

1x dario dario
1x Sphaerichthys osphromenoides
3x Dicrossus filamentosus

5x otocinclus vittatus
2x otocinclus cocama
2x Rineloricaria sp. red
5x Pangio kuhli
9x Corydoras sterbai

The CO2 dropchecker is lime-green, phosphate is about 0,5 ppm.

This is what the Staurogyne looks like, and overview of the tank. As you can see the other plants seem to do great.

Attachments

• 9495080D-5D9B-4E6F-8D6E-7D0323B36F4B.jpeg
    9495080D-5D9B-4E6F-8D6E-7D0323B36F4B.jpeg
    630.9 KB · Views: 320
  • EF036A2D-A6C0-49ED-B669-D2DD82FFCF45.jpeg
    EF036A2D-A6C0-49ED-B669-D2DD82FFCF45.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 348
The new leaves being produced, do these also have holes?

Yes the new leaves do have small holes, but not as many as the older leaves. That's the reason why I'm thinking about a short in nutrients.
The strange thing is that the staurogyne is one of my 'easier' plants, but seems to be the only one who is not doing so well.

What is your fertiliser, I don’t know that one and how much are you dosing?

Lighting and co2 period?

Have you got a full tank shot?

That is a lot of fish for a tank that is 3 moths old!

That's like 70 fish in there that is a lot even for a tank that size are you sure it's not just being a salad for one of them

Cheers
Jay

What is your fertiliser, I don’t know that one and how much are you dosing?

Lighting and co2 period?

Have you got a full tank shot?

That is a lot of fish for a tank that is 3 moths old!

The fertilizer is an all in one solution. It includes po4, no3, iron, magnesium and other trace elements. I'm using the maximum dosage.
Almost all the species of fish are very small, the tank does not look 'overstocked' to me. The po4 and no3 levels are very low, even though I'm using a big amount of fertilizer and have a large amount of fish.

Stocking level sounds fine to me, as long as one is consistent with water changes, don’t overfeed etc

20 Ember tetras can mass about 1 tiger barb :lol:

Sphaerichthys osphromenoides really needs some companions though - they definitely fare better in groups (& are interesting to watch)

Try supplementing food for your otocinclus - they may be overgrazing the soft new leaves (old leaf deterioration may just be normal leaf process, especially if they’re still some emerse growth)

Stocking level sounds fine to me, as long as one is consistent with water changes, don’t overfeed etc

20 Ember tetras can mass about 1 tiger barb :lol:

Sphaerichthys osphromenoides really needs some companions though - they definitely fare better in groups (& are interesting to watch)

Try supplementing food for your otocinclus - they may be overgrazing the soft new leaves (old leaf deterioration may just be normal leaf process, especially if they’re still some emerse growth)

I've tried to add more chocolate gourami's 2 times because I also thought they will fare better in groups. Unfortunately my current gourami chased them them around till they died. So I guess he will have to live his life alone... I never saw the otocinclus on the staurogyne, but off course that does not mean they don't like a little late night snack :) Thanks for your input!

I try to increase my po4 but I think my aquasoil is absorbing it from the water faster than I can add it.
had the same problem with po4 abosrbtion with my tropica soil...but no melting in the plants just green spot algae....after 1 month plants are starting to lose the green spot algae tho

Back