• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Neon tetras having issues

H.Alves

So i got a school of 8 neon tetras.

Fish are eating well and behaving normally but i see, at least, 2 different issues with them.

1) Some fish have a white coloration to the fins (fungus?), and 2) on some fish the red is just pale. I think in this picture you can see both issues on different fish.

f75faa48-1560-49a2-946b-eed7c1826872-original.jpg

I have been dosing Seachem paraguard for the last 4 days or so, but have not seen any improvement.

i have API melafix (not sure whether is shrimp or plant safe) and JBL Ektol fluid plus 250 (but this is not shrimp safe).

I have a planted tank and shrimps so i am afraid of medicating all aquarium and having the plants melt or shrimps die.

Dont have a quarantine tank available at the moment.

Any suggestions of what it might be and how to deal with it?

This may not help but over the last 3 yrs I've had 2x lots of 20 neons and almost without exception they've developed non specific issues. Some like yours, some gill cover issues, some with lumps, growths on fins, crooked spines etc. I never medicated for this and no other fish were affected. I honestly think it's down to crap breeding practices and I've vowed never to buy any more.

Occasionally one can see wild caught neons for sale again
But they are significantly most expensive

I missed the original post, Bifuran (Hikari) would be my suggestion but as it’s availability is limited, supportive care is really all one can do
Daily water changes even when water quality looks excellent is always worthwhile (no kit tests will detect water column bacteria, pathogens anyway)
An acriflavine based med would be my preference over ParaGuard in this instance (sera Baktopur is one I’ve used with apparent success)

Thank you both for replying. I have stopped after a while dosing paraguard. Went to the shop and was told they pretty much all come like this. Some regain color with time, many have these white fins to some extent...

Although no medication, the white marks seem the same. So no spreading.

I tend to agree this is probably more due to improper breeding practices... I am based in PT and have not seen wild neons over here, but if i do, i will get them instead and move these to a different aquarium.

Its interesting to notice that green neons (P. simulans) dont have the same issues. Probably because they are a more recent specie and less inbreeding has happened. They all come well with no funky white marks on the fins.

I tend to do water changes, at least, once or twice a week. Water is pristine. They already came from the shop like this but only noticed it the next morning when lights went on.

This may not help but over the last 3 yrs I've had 2x lots of 20 neons and almost without exception they've developed non specific issues. Some like yours, some gill cover issues, some with lumps, growths on fins, crooked spines etc. I never medicated for this and no other fish were affected. I honestly think it's down to crap breeding practices and I've vowed never to buy any more.

Went to the shop and was told they pretty much all come like this.
tend to agree this is probably more due to improper breeding practices...
They already came from the shop like this but only noticed it the next morning when lights went on.

Shop really needs to look at sourcing when fish arrive (repeatedly) with these issues
A reputable fish farm does not breed or ship out fish in poor condition

If retail shops complain and refuse such fish - some need the prompting from customers ;), aquaculture conditions can improve

I would either set up a separate container with the sick fish in and get them out ASAP. or ay good bye to them.

I had 20 and now down to one, tried potassium permanganate, paraguard, even bought some focus antibiotics from America. every fish that was sick died over a couple of weeks..

stay away from neon tetras..

I would either set up a separate container with the sick fish in and get them out ASAP. or ay good bye to them.

I had 20 and now down to one, tried potassium permanganate, paraguard, even bought some focus antibiotics from America. every fish that was sick died over a couple of weeks..

stay away from neon tetras..

I fell your pain. When I received them, tried also a couple meds I had here and then gave up. From the 12 I bought some months back still have 11 of them. The white stuff on fins it’s still there. Hardly have grown but some fish the fins got a bit smaller.

After reading a bit I think it might be viral Lymphocystis or something similar and there seems that there is no known cure for it.

Some people have cut the damaged fins in the hope of them growing back normal but I haven’t tried that. So far, they are still there and eating normal. P. Simulans and cardinal tetras don’t have it, and if I knew what I know now, I would have got one of those species instead. But well, did not want to get rid of these just because they are not aesthetically pleasing....

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

focus antibiotics
Seachem Focus is predominately a binding polymer which “holds” the antibiotic of choice to the food, under aquarium conditions
As with most Seachem medications, it’s based upon (veterinary) ornamental fish research/studies

The initial copy at the top of the Focus page is somewhat deceptive - while there is a small amount of nitrofurantoin bound it’s likely below threshold values (for effective treatment of bacterial infections)
In contrast, the Directions indicate Focus use much more clearly

Directions

Focus™ should be combined with another medication to treat your fish’s specific infection. Research your fish’s symptoms to find the right medication for their disease.

Dosing in Food
Stir together the medicated food mix (recipe below) before feeding. Feed the fish once daily as much as they can consume in about 1 minute. Treatment periods will vary but it is recommended to treat for at least a week. This medicated food can be refrigerated or frozen between feedings.

• 1 scoop of medication if choice
  • 1 scoop Focus™
  • 1 tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)
  • A few drops of water if using a dry food
Seachem Medications for Medicated Food Mixes
MetroPlex™: Treats internal and external parasites and bacterial infections
KanaPlex™: Treats internal and external bacterial and fungal infections
SulfaPlex™: Treats external fungal and bacterial infections
NeoPlex™: Treats bacterial infections of the intestines

Back