• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

48x24x24 high tech dirted

SRP3006

Hi all,

Been trying to decide whether or not to do a journal of my tank journey and obviously decided too, never done one before so give me a shout if I miss something!

Ok details then.

Tank- 120x60x60 ND aquatics approx 400 litres with hood and condensation covers.

Lights- 3 x aquaray grobeam 1500 tiles, ramp on at 1500 to 60% power at 15.25 and ramp off at 2100.

Filters- FX6 as main workhorse and a almost empty fluval 306 as the filter to push CO2 around the tank.

CO2- FE with a co2 art dual stage regulator and solenoid connected via inline diffuser to the 306.

Substrate- Westland aquatic compost and sphagnum moss peat capped with 3cm of unipac limpopo sand, separated with greenhouse shading (Thank you Tim Harrison)

Ok so dry start was started on 24.04 and I flooded on 07.07. 12 week dry start went very well IMO with no problems like mould.
Dry start plant list was
Eleocharis acicularis
Sagittaria subulata
Rotala rotundifolia
Lobelia cardinalis
Taxiphyllum barbieri

The tank was sealed with cling film completely for the first 3 weeks, only opening daily to spray and vent. After I used the glass covers and kept the space for filter pipes open for ventilation. Towards the end of the DSM I kept the covers opens as much as I could which really saw the plants speed up IMO. I sprayed only as much as I needed in the end to ensure things did not dry out. I was out of the country for 2 weeks at the end of June and just closed the covers and poured a little water into the substrate. When I came back I was pleasantly surprised by how the tank looked.

96f2e0096ae40ddeca85b61cb31c6fc9.jpg
5a506490e35643be9867b86b2f6e8dea.jpg

Been trying to decide whether or not to do a journal of my tank journey and obviously decided too

Good idea M8 then if you have any issues all the info is already down in one place already :thumbup: Plus lots of folk learn and are keen to watch your journey ;)

How long of a photo period did you use for the DSM ? I ask as my Eleocharis acicularis was much more filled in after 12weeks DSM - I had my lights on 12hrs a day at 100%

Lights were on full for 12 hours a day during this time.

The only issues I had during the DSM were aphids. I partially flooded the tank for 24hrs on the advice of a few on here. That seemed to have the desired effect, only for them to come back after 2 weeks. Most of the sagittaria was covered and I can see the damage on them now.
Next time I will do my dry start in the winter

I finally found time to flood the tank on Sunday. I had my plants arrive from Aquarium gardens on Saturday afternoon which consisted of
Alternanthera reineckii 'Pink'
Ceratopteris Thalicroides- for start up only
Anubias barteri var. caladiifolia
Microsorum Narrow Leaf
Cryptocoryne bullosa
Cryptocoryne walkeri
Cryptocoryne nevellii
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Cryptocoryne amicorum

I have purposely not ordered any bucesor many anubias yet as I have heard they do not like the fluctuating water chemistry in New set ups. It's hard to remember everything as I have not started this journal when I started the project so if I think of anything I will add it later
Here's what it looked like after the water cleared.

d2cab9fce94badf951a50b320066fcfa.jpg
2fc9a164be3ae2b0f8f12863dca60f33.jpg

How long of a photo period did you use for the DSM ? I ask as my Eleocharis acicularis was much more filled in after 12weeks DSM - I had my lights on 12hrs a day at 100%

I was in the middle of the post when u asked bud. 12 hours but I do not have as much light power/wattage as u I'm afraid.

TBH your journal proved a great help to me and have read it many times over.

Your flooded pics show mush better growth :banghead: I was going off your pic on first post :lol:

TBH your journal proved a great help to me and have read it many times over.
emoji106.png

I glad it helped makes it so worth while :D which is why its great to start a journal IMO it helps others.

Do a pH profile and try to get the CO2 as good as you can - it can take quite some time to get it right, perfect time to do it is when first flooded as no livestock, it will pay off long term ;)

Haha first pics were when I planted it. The root growth was unreal. It was like you could actually see them growing. Mrs looked at me like I was crazy, but I guess that's common in this hobby

Started a ph profile Tuesday. It takes a little while to get right doesn't it.
345edf956c2a5d2f0d8b77107fe51aff.jpg

Good job on the profile :thumbup: what are you using to get the pH reading . I would start the CO2 30mins earlier as it still drops a further 0.2pH during the next 30mins of the photoperiod. Max pH drop for lights on and ramp lights on whilst plants get going. Good degas too which suggests good flow IMO :thumbup:

I had another go at the profile today but work meant that I missed the beginning.
Ph readings are from a ph probe. Nothing expensive but calibrated before first use by me so should be more reliable than tests anyway.

Good job on the profile what are you using to get the pH reading . I would start the CO2 30mins earlier as it still drops a further 0.2pH during the next 30mins of the photoperiod. Max pH drop for lights on and ramp lights on whilst plants get going. Good degas too which suggests good flow IMO
I actually changed the co2 to come on at 1400 instead of 1430 starting today
Flow is a full length spray bar attached to a fx6. I don't think you can beat those filters IMO. I'm just worried about the flow from the 306 to push the co2 into the tank. Could be stronger IMO. But all the plants are moving and I can watch the 'fizz' get pushed against the front glass, down the glass, thru/over the carpet and back up the back glass.

When is a good time to trim my hairgrass? On my large water change at the weekend or is that too early after flooding?
They are starting to look messy and it's driving me crazy

I would leave them at least 2weeks whilst they make the change to being under water.
Thank you, I thought as much to be honest.
At least it gives me time to sort out my co2 as little tweaks cause rather large swings in ph.

Before I flooded my tank my lights were on 100% For 12 hours a day. Now I know the general rule is 6 hours so they are on for 6, but how strong do i set them at?
I've gone with 60% but to be honest I've no idea if that's too much or not enough.
Can anyone shed any 'light' on my lighting please.

Yours plants whilst in the DSM was grown in air and they have to make the transformation to growing underwater which can take a few weeks also your plants to adjust, also they was getting 400ppm CO2 and great delivery of the CO2 as CO2 diffuses 10,000 times faster in air than in water, in water with your CO2 they will have about 30ppm. (check pH profile when you have time. I do a pH check at lights on and CO2 off occasionally to check its OK) Both take time to adjust and the plants will use there energy reserve to do the changes needed. So not too much light at first I would say 50%. Same goes for the plants you purchased for flooding give them time two to four weeks with a slow increase in intensity after that period, too much light will only increase the chances of a potential algae bloom which the tank/filter media cycles.

Its very tempting to put the lights on full and see them pearl for the first time, then next pinholes and melting leaves. Its your call OFC

Thanks. Lights set to 50%.
Don't really want to have to deal with algae whilst I'm trying to get co2 sorted.

Can anyone help with my ph profile please.
Hopefully the new filter will help me disperse the co2 better (when it stops leaking)
15bf6c7b1c42fa2032590f5d55688ab2.jpg

I would go for CO2 on 3hrs before lights on. Which isn't uncommon to get a stable pH before lights on. Some can take longer.
Would that be 3 hours before the lights start ramping on or 3 before they are up to power?

Hi all,

Struggling a little with my ph profile. I know my sample tap water is 7.8. (Water left in a beaker for approx 2 hours). I have changed my co2 to come on 3 hours before lights and I get a 1.1 drop in ph but as you can see it then drops further.

How do i keep it stable when the injection rate stays the same throughout?
Flow seems to be fine, drop checker a nice lime green almost transparent.

I started to see algae on the anubias leaves so have turned the lights down a bit, currently on 50% power for 6 hours including the 25min ramp up and down.
1417dfa6bc9fd4646223a414349620e2.jpg

Back