• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

50L shallow cube

Got bored at work, decided to do a little doodle!

c4e7d09534f52c73c8ddc51856951984.jpg

Not sure what crypts would look best at the back right,

Nor do I know what to do behind the microsorum trident, was originally gonna put an emergent shower caddy filled with things, but I’m not sure now!

Buces and Anubias on the rocks,

Staurogyne repens at the base with hydrocotyle sp. japan down the right hand side!

Any other suggestions would be appreciate!

Also any suggestions on the best placement of the inlet/outlet for the best flow would be good!

Thanks
Thom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got bored at work, decided to do a little doodle!

c4e7d09534f52c73c8ddc51856951984.jpg

Not sure what crypts would look best at the back right,

Nor do I know what to do behind the microsorum trident, was originally gonna put an emergent shower caddy filled with things, but I’m not sure now!

Buces and Anubias on the rocks,

Staurogyne repens at the base with hydrocotyle sp. japan down the right hand side!

Any other suggestions would be appreciate!

Also any suggestions on the best placement of the inlet/outlet for the best flow would be good!

Thanks
Thom

What about something tall and emergent at the back corner(s), would it suit the scale?

What about something tall and emergent at the back corner(s), would it suit the scale?
nah i like the sketch he did better with it being midground.

Looks 10/10 to me, make it happen! lol

Plant list, might tweak it a bit...

c95dc89a97346c82b73248da61421b82.jpg
g
ff9f7ef9e73a3bd4998d74aa47c11bf5.jpg

3a24c021647c0f10fe9e2d875af4f6b4.jpg

ca9ee9832335afb3ae5083fd10f1440f.jpg

The eleocharis montevidensis and heteranthea zosterfolia are for behind the ferns to fill the gap (taken massive influence from shinobi’s nano pond! So thank you if you see this! ) until I decide whether to put one of these in...

1fb38bb32cf89a091d96fc536b13622f.jpg

Thom

Last edited:
So, bit delayed on the set up due to horrendously uneven floors, having to half rebuild the oak unit I restored, after lots of advice on the Diy section I’ve got a plan and will be doing it tomorrow hopefully!

But I’ve built my light up and got it hung where the tank will be!

Didn’t end up running an in-line dimmer switch as I had planned but pretty happy with how it looks!
(The cable will run vertically behind the tank when it’s up and running!

d09457d9945096702ef3c14e44f3e5d5.jpg

a5abbde9388fbe13f40db3eac3ab6b9c.jpg

e977102ae3244a64cebbc6b929732082.jpg

a58108c16bac2304b509531ff246c930.jpg

The bulb is a dimmable 15w LED at 6500k with a 60° angle!

Thom

Some plants kindly sent by kalum (thanks again!) in their temporary home until my cabinet is built! Taken inspo from marc Davis on here! Brilliant idea!

cc5def529de2ee9ab7a53db6b7289ef1.jpg

Need to pull my finger out and get this cabinet built this week!

So I’m making a start, the house move isn’t happening for months so ...

Made the unit for the tank to sit on, cupboard doors are in WIP

Found some cheap wood that looked nice! Some other branch’s to be put in! The heather degrades too quickly! ( glad I experimented with the nano)

So couldn’t help myself... quick mock up...

Wood is half soaked... I haven’t got a container big enough!

9e67ca6630e4e68dc0a0a498745f1938.jpg

a4984a34f5f6fd06925b98b64061e071.jpg

The small gap between big rocks and little will be planted!

Not too sure where to place the lily pipe/inlet/co2 yet!

Any critique welcome!

Last edited:
Tank looks so much taller than 25cm :wideyed:

Look at the light spread & intensity with/without the shade - my impression from the plant photo is that you’ve created considerable shading

Nice wood - don’t cover it entirely in moss ;)

For filter inlet/return positioning, flood tank and observe flow effects
A bit of cork will show upper movement, a coloured solution will show water flow through the tank but be careful of staining clear silicone (some silicone seems to stain easily, others doesn’t - Prime will decolor spilled malachite green ;)), CO2 bubbles and various fish foods will visualize flow patterns as well
(as plants grow in, they’ll affect flow)

Love this video

Tank looks so much taller than 25cm :wideyed:

Look at the light spread & intensity with/without the shade - my impression from the plant photo is that you’ve created considerable shading

Nice wood - don’t cover it entirely in moss ;)

For filter inlet/return positioning, flood tank and observe flow effects
A bit of cork will show upper movement, a coloured solution will show water flow through the tank but be careful of staining clear silicone (some silicone seems to stain easily, others doesn’t - Prime will decolor spilled malachite green ;)), CO2 bubbles and various fish foods will visualize flow patterns as well
(as plants grow in, they’ll affect flow)

Love this video

Thanks Alto!

Great video! Makes me want one of those outlets now!

I have taken into account the shade situation, I will be putting lots of Anubis nana petite and shade loving crypts.

The tank is deceiving! To put some scale on it, the steel co2 diffuser is 20cm top to bottom! I’ve tried to give a sense of scale using smaller rocks and multiple levels of substrate to give the illusion of height!

My intentions are for the back left corner to be densely packed with plants hopefully emergent as it’s only around 10-15cm deep!

As for the wood, I do have a propagator full of fissens and weeping moss I was gonna moss some of the wood! Sorry

Last edited:
Final few touches made to the tank, everything but plants have been purchased! Still deciding on the background, wanted loads of emerged growth at the back but cant decide on the plants I want! Gotta wait until the end of the month anyway!

Have some finished hard scape pictures!

0133bdbc2aad9eee97cd3a03be4ff7fa.jpg

9b793b1bae663c3d3349629acb23b4a1.jpg

b676368e6ce3453d67f4a0b3fbee982b.jpg

The lily pipe will be straight! Just need to adjust the hose!

There will be broken rocks in the sand!

Feel free to critique! I’ve stared at it for a month and still keep fiddling!

Thanks for reading!
Thom

Back