• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

eheim professional 2 - on its way back... FIXED

Chris Tinker

so got one second hand with a tank. needs a clean, easy enough, the temperature gauge seems to work, waiting to test the element (used hot water to fill it and its hotter than 29 degrees ... ooops

any way all seems well until.. i noticed there is no...
Eheim (7444410) External Filter Floater Spring & Holder

what does this even do? parts are relatively cheap, and thinking should i just get a new propeller at the same time?
or do i test the filter before investing? connecting it up with some water in a tub?

or without the above part will it just leak?

got the filter running and it leaks

purchased the ring seal, a new clip, the spring just to give it all a bit of new life. seems to be less out out than expected but no spray bar attached so could be poor to compare.
20190702_215253_compress78.jpg
20190702_215257_compress70.jpg

only leaks when i press the primer

It may be worth stripping it down and checking all the seals. There could be one or two O rings in there that have dried out.

The primer seals are a softer material (possibly silicone) than the main seal between the head and the square body. They can perish and leak, often when the pump is switched off it fills up the side hollows and drips down the side of the body.

They're not hugely expensive (approx £10) and easy to replace. I followed a YouTube video where someone replaced this with a cheaper nitrile seal, but wouldn't recommend it. These are much less soft and while they stop the leak, you won't be able to press the priming button. I managed to crack the abs head fitting mine back together because the nitrile seal didn't compress well as the motor/primer pushed into the plastic head, so it leaked when switching the pump off. This was despite using silicon lubricant.

Thankfully as the head is abs I could repair it with a thin sheet of abs from ebay and some pure acetone to make an abs glue slurry and seal the crack in the head after drilling the end of the crack.

Having spent hours messing about with this filter I wished I'd spent the extra fiver on the proper primer button seal! But it works now, and I learnt how to repair abs.

If it's suckling in air the main body seal has probably gone. It can also weap from the join when the pump is switched off. At least thats what mine did.

Places that can leak: main body seal, primer button seal, small o ring in the flow monitor, taps o rings, finally within the taps themselves there are two really chunky o rings which push against the ball valves. To get to the latter you have to split the two sections of the taps in half, which is a little fiddly. I'd only consider these if it's obviously leaking from the body of the taps. I reclaimed an old filter that had spent fifteen + years in the garage and this chunky oring must have been dry and got twisted the first time I turned the tap. By splitting the taps into two parts washing a lubricating the oring and reassembling it all worked fine again.

Hope you get it fixed.

I do wonder if some of the old filter designs are better in this respect. Excluding hose fittings there are only 2 or 3 seals on a Classic and I never had one of them go on my old one. The new Classic’s seem to have a softer seal between the head and canister these days though so although they are easier to close they may not last as long.

The primer seals are a softer material (possibly silicone) than the main seal between the head and the square body. They can perish and leak, often when the pump is switched off it fills up the side hollows and drips down the side of the body.

They're not hugely expensive (approx £10) and easy to replace. I followed a YouTube video where someone replaced this with a cheaper nitrile seal, but wouldn't recommend it. These are much less soft and while they stop the leak, you won't be able to press the priming button. I managed to crack the abs head fitting mine back together because the nitrile seal didn't compress well as the motor/primer pushed into the plastic head, so it leaked when switching the pump off. This was despite using silicon lubricant.

Thankfully as the head is abs I could repair it with a thin sheet of abs from ebay and some pure acetone to make an abs glue slurry and seal the crack in the head after drilling the end of the crack.

Having spent hours messing about with this filter I wished I'd spent the extra fiver on the proper primer button seal! But it works now, and I learnt how to repair abs.

If it's suckling in air the main body seal has probably gone. It can also weap from the join when the pump is switched off. At least thats what mine did.

Places that can leak: main body seal, primer button seal, small o ring in the flow monitor, taps o rings, finally within the taps themselves there are two really chunky o rings which push against the ball valves. To get to the latter you have to split the two sections of the taps in half, which is a little fiddly. I'd only consider these if it's obviously leaking from the body of the taps. I reclaimed an old filter that had spent fifteen + years in the garage and this chunky oring must have been dry and got twisted the first time I turned the tap. By splitting the taps into two parts washing a lubricating the oring and reassembling it all worked fine again.

Hope you get it fixed.

totally missed this reply sorry, and thank you. i bought the official seal.. might as well as you said.

this is to get the tank up and running and in the future i may look in to a sump for all the benefits or a new canister and DIY and internal heater

Agree with the comment about the classics being easier with less leaking points.

This video shows you how to dismantle the filter

Mine had been used for salt water tank previously so the screws for the cable clamp were well rusted. I hope yours is easier.

Agree with the comment about the classics being easier with less leaking points.

Mine had been used for salt water tank previously so the screws for the cable clamp were well rusted. I hope yours is easier.

will have a look at lunch, i put a new seal on mine for it too only leak above the seal.

can i not just silicone? if i never use the primer button (no need for it) just silicone the top section if the filter?

had a watch and now purchased primer seal and hopefully that will fix it. such a small leak... but who wants a filter in a bucket

well there is something wrong. primer seal replaced. still leaking.. back to the video for other seals..

however its leaking worse... so feeling like i have made it worse... ffs. nightmare

Attachments

• 20190714_230927.jpg
    20190714_230927.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 91
nozel off inserted the way the guy on video does.. was not as hard to push in...

still leaks... and now the propeller is not working.. its 12:50 am time for bed.

frustrating as it was water tight for a bit... then i moved it lol.

well i finished at 1am this morning, the propeller was clearly not put back in right and was making a horrible noise.

gave up and will try again tonight, at least there are no screws to undo to fix that.

might set it up outside to save the hassel of wetting more floor

i think im filter less!

Eheim continues to leak. all seals replaced.... any objections to sticking A LOT of Aquarian sealant around the rim of the primer lol.

options...

1) sealant
2) new filter
3) go for a sump - though i have a 3.5 yr old and 5month old.. no lock on the door so i would be worried about them.

HELP

I likely missed the answer, but did you actually take the head apart re leaking primer button as in the Thomas video (which I think covers this)

If you just seal around the Primer button externally, it will (likely) still leak inside the pump head

I likely missed the answer, but did you actually take the head apart re leaking primer button as in the Thomas video (which I think covers this)

If you just seal around the Primer button externally, it will (likely) still leak inside the pump head

yep followed the video , was a great help. followed all steps.. pushing my primer back in is relatively easy though.. i think the new seal is too big.. its rather loose fitting.

also i was thinking of sealing inside, so all of it except the propeller part

Back