• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Partial Lunar Eclipse

Unfortunately it was a total lunar eclipse where I was.

Hi all,
Unfortunately it was a total lunar eclipse where I was.
Cloudy in the North and West of the UK I think.

The moon was just rising, and our back garden faces SE across open country. The top two thirds of the moon was obscured but what was most striking thing was that the remaining third was a deep red/orange colour.

cheers Darrel

Missed it, now i have to make a note in my agenda or i'm going to miss it again.

Now when it comes to moon, i actualy have a question.. I can't realy get my head around the Waxing and Waning Gibbous

il_794xN.1620266492_m1hu.jpg

All the others make sense as it is the earth casting a concave shadow on the moon with the sun in our back.. In the Wadding and Waxing phase the shade is convex?? At least i guess it can't be a shade but a dark area we can't see. But how is it created, what's actualy the moon vs earth vs sun possition in this phase?

Hi all,Cloudy in the North and West of the UK I think.

I'm in Norwich and it was under a complete blanket of cloud. Had even gone to the trouble of getting my telescope out of the loft.

Hi all,
I'm in Norwich and it was under a complete blanket of cloud.
Bad luck. There isn't another one until <"16 May 2022">.

Also I'm not convinced about this "driest part of Britain" malarkey.

I was at UEA Saturday a fortnight ago, rained all day. Didn't have suitable clothing, couldn't find anywhere to eat in town because it was "Lord Mayor's Procession" etc.

Got back to Corsham about 23:00 to be told it had been lovely and sunny all day.

cheers Darrel

Straight line over a sphere seen at an angle. ( paint half a balloon and turn it a bit)

Ok thanks.. After some imaginary thinking that would be something like this.. :)
Naamloos.jpg

the dark part indeed aint shadow it's the dark side we never see. And since its a globe it gradualy darkens in a convex shape..

Also I'm not convinced about this "driest part of Britain" malarkey.

I was at UEA Saturday a fortnight ago, rained all day.

They have a good weather forecasting station on top of the uea between the environment and biology blocks. Spent a fair bit of time up there during my oceans and atmosphere modules. They should know what they are talking about but I'd hate to see how much rain the wettest parts of the country get.

Here's an animation of the moon's phases.

:thumbup:

Actualy stupid, that i never googled this in English than i would have found this.. In my native language never realy found a conclusive answer, probably using the wrong terms.. Actualy i never gave it much tought, But lately noticed it on a clear night riding towards the moon. And thought how can the moon be egg shaped if the dark part is the earths shadow? :rolleyes:

Back