• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my aquascape 90x45x45 Aquascape change recommendations

Hanuman

Hello guys,

The tank is 8 months old. Plants have grown quite well specially the Vallisneria, Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown, Cryptocoryne balansae, moses, Marsilea hirsuta and other. Some not so well, like the Bolbitis heudelotii close to dead or the Hygrophila pinnatifida who was doing fine initially but then totally died off. I have been experiencing some deficiencies but I will hopefully remedy that with some EI dosing soon.

Anyway, I don't intend on re-scaping the whole tank but I would like your recommendations on changes that could be made here and there that would:
1 - improve circulation
2 - reduce trimming
3 - improve appearance

@hogan53 has already advised on a separate thread removing (all or partially) the Vallisneria and replacing it with some other plants like Rotala sp, Didiplis diandra or Ludwigia.

Your opinion, advise/recommendation is welcome.

Here is how the tank looked on day 1:
IMG_E9795.JPG

Here is how it looks today:
IMG_1273.JPG

And here is a short video so that you can see the tank on all 3 sides:

Last edited:
I like it! Only bit I'd change is removing that red stem plant dead centre. Also I'd be tempted to put something behind to remove the horizontal stripes from the brick - just a bit of white board lent behind would do as you don't see much of it. Very unnatural straight lines just take away from the more natural shapes of the plants/wood.

Only bit I'd change is removing that red stem plant dead centre
Yes that Alternanthera Reineckii is actually not supposed to be there. It comes from another tank but it was not doing great there so I placed it in my main tank temporarily so it could recover. Will remove it soon. I agree with you.

Also I'd be tempted to put something behind to remove the horizontal stripes from the brick
Indeed, this has been eye soar from the begining but because I didn't see this one coming prior setting up the tank I never did what I had to do due to been concerned about moving the stand and tank even with minimal water in it. I would need the help of 2 or 3 people. I will eventually do it though.

Last edited:
Indeed, this has been eye soar from the begining but because I didn't see this one coming prior setting up the tank I never did what I had to do due to been concerned about moving the stand and tank even with minimal water in it. I would need the help of 2 or 3 people. I will eventually do it though.

Have you not got space to slide something in? I know paint/film is the 'professional' option but it's amazing the transformation you get with just a bit of cardboard wedged behind.

Have you not got space to slide something in? I know paint/film is the 'professional' option but it's amazing the transformation you get with just a bit of cardboard wedged behind.

Yes I could do it the old school way and add some cardboard. Could try that first see how things turn.

Last edited:
Reactions: tam
Hello all,

Now that I removed all the Vallisneria from the right back side I am considering removing all the Cryptocoryne balansae from the left back side. They are getting pretty long and shadowing the plants underneath. I want to replace the crypt altogether with some similar looking plant but that does not grow that tall and long. The questions are:
1 - What plant(s) would you guys recommend?
2 - Balansae having deep roots would trimming them at the base be ok or a complete removal with roots is a requirement?

Thank you.

I'm not expert so will leave recommendations to those in the know but that's a beautiful tank

Are those just standard rasboras or a variant? Their colours really pop

Don’t tinker too much, it looks great.
Just trim and enjoy

Thanks. But I just want to try other plants. This is very far from being a contest tank so I am not really concerned. Problem with trimming the balancae is that one needs to trim to the base. If I want to have them moreless at the same level I would need to trim them all. They are now close to 70cm in lengh and hindering flow as they are bending on the surface close to the outflow. Anyway the point is I just want to experiment with new plants. So far I have been recommended some of these plants as replacement:

Cyperus helferi
Isoetes lacustris
Blyxa aubertii
Eriocaulon fluviatile (aka Feather Duster)

What do you think?

Aponogetum are a little more tricky to grow and would be a good gentle "step up" they look similar to balancae and stay shorter.

Now that’s an interesting bunch of plants. I stand corrected, carry on sir!
The Eriocaulan looks great. I have the Cinerem variety, but they’re not looking their best yet.
I am saving the Eriocaulon Cinereum for my shallow tank. Nice erio. It does grow slow though.

Would not change anything. Looks perfect in my opinion
Thanks. I like it too but I also like change. The tank is 10 months old now and I am getting a bit bored of the looks and plants so I want to spice things up :twisted:. I might even have to reset the tank soon as I might be moving out not so far in the future so I want to try as many plants as possible to learn how they behave prior replanting.

Aponogetum are a little more tricky to grow and would be a good gentle "step up" they look similar to balancae and stay shorter.
Look nice but the leaves look rather large. Which sp. are you referring to?

Last edited:
Sorry I should have said, there are many quite varied forms. Try Aponogeton undulatus which is a bit smaller thinner leaved than most. Great thing is if they 'fail' initially they can be regrow from the bulb.

You could also look at Crinum calisratum for thinner leaves though they grow taller and much more 'unruly' in the aquarium.

You could also look at Crinum calisratum for thinner leaves though they grow taller and much more 'unruly' in the aquarium.

Thank you. Ok I have been looking at the Crinum calisratum but the leaves are just a bit too wide for my liking. Plus if you say it grows unruly it might not be what I am looking for. I do like the light green color though.

Some update:

IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

Ignore the pot on the right. That's just temporary storage for another tank.
@tam I finally added that white backdrop plus added an ikea low level LED light I had laying around for the styles.
Also replaced the Ludwigia Repens with some Didiplis Diandra. Just want to see how that looks.

Last edited:
I want to try a new background plant mostly because the crypt balansae is growing too much (>80cm long) and the only way of trimming it is by cutting each leaf at the base which has become a pain. I also simply want to try something else that doesn't grow that long. I want to swap it with some Eleocharis Vivipara which according to my reseach will grow to about 30/40cm. Any special attention I should have with E. Vivipara or warning or does and do nots? I have a supplier that can sell me a whole bunch already grown (~30cm) so it wouldn't need to be grown from small size and could be put in place of the Cryp without changing the layout abruptly until it grows.

Thank you for your comments.

Last edited:
Back