• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Mission Bathtub 2019

It’s amazing how well things grow in nature
Makes you want to pick up that tub and have it in the house over winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that would be very nice, if i had room and budget to build a conservatory i would definitively take it inside over winter..

Some picks after the trim job and tying some things up.. Mainly the Bog Fern was covering all of it, mostly teh Myriophyllum was completely hidden under the fern. But has some light again and recovering well. The cyprus is flowring so heavy it falls over without support.
DSC_0040.JPG

The Echinodorus hidden in teh bush and obviously a snail snack..
DSC_0042.JPG

But its flowering..
DSC_0041.JPG

Hydrocotyl going bonkers outgrowing everything else, but there is some Gratiola, Horsetail, creeping Jenny and also a small echinodorus in it..
DSC_0043.JPG

I'll be darned, in my small outdoor aqaurium i'm missing a few baby goldfish. It is extremely heavy planted and at first i though they are in the plants. But after them not showing during feeding time i got suspicious and took a closer look. And i saw a Dragonfly Nymph shooting away it was at least 30mm in size about the same size the fish were.. :eek:

1 and 1 must be 2 in this case.. Did this Nymph feast on the fish?? I have no other idea where else they would be going. Remarkable is the white clouds are still in there.

Could it realy be that a Dragonfly Nymph takes on fish from the same size if not bigger? At least it's not born that big?.. Or is this simply coincidence?

Till now i only spotted it once and to catch it would need to strip the complete tank.. It's to much plants in it to move around with a net. Might just catch the white coulds out, that's simpler with some food.

That's a first timer for me, encounering a fish snatching Dragonfly larvae.. What actualy the average time from larvae to develop and hatch as fly? I can't realy seem to find another answer than when its ready?.

All i know they are missing and that monster is in there.. No idea for how long. This tank is in its 3th season outdoor. And indoor but never stripped down.. I spotted it for the first time last week. And the missing babies are born last year..

Finaly gotcha!.. The fish snatching Nymph.. Almost 40mm.. It snatched at least 3 about same sized fish from the tank.
DSC_0049.JPG

I guess its an old one it already is growing tiny wings..
DSC_0051.JPG

I gave it another home with no fishes in it..
DSC_0052.JPG

Aww now they might starve :p. J/k I'm sure they'll find some mosquito larvae or something to eat, they may just grow up a bit slower.

Loving the pics as always :).

I've seen another one in there but smaller.. I red they are also cannibalistic.. so he doesn't need to starve that soon and can feast on it's relative. :hungry: And indeed it will find enough in there it's loaded with all kinds of larvea.

Actualy pitty i didn't have a little nano tank setup and ready, to pet and feed it.. I would have loved to monitor its development in an aquarium and see it hatch into a dragonfly.
But since its almost end of the season i guess it will still be a nymph next year. If i spot it next spring i try to catch and move it again to a small aquarium.

I've
I
Actualy pitty i didn't have a little nano tank setup and ready, to pet and feed it.. I would have loved to monitor its development in an aquarium and see it hatch into a dragonfly.
I've done this a few times with damselfly nymphs that came into my aquariums on plants, cost me quite a few betta fry though, which I was quite conflicted about, but damsels are smaller so most fry quickly grew too large to be at risk!

https://i.imgur.com/bPhcYDF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4sVuw2a.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/T5ZzEO8.jpg

I little bit Hydrocotyl.. :)
DSC_0090.JPG

Actualy the long dry and clear sky summers make everything regarding aquatic grow like mad. My little aquarium was bursting at the seams and though need to take out some pond weed.

1/3 of everything, last time i took a simmular bunch out was less than 2 months ago.
DSC_0094.JPG

maybe 1/6 of all Taxiphyllum moss, this moss realy grows incredibly fast. No idea where to go with it..
DSC_0093.JPG

And while making some room in the tank.. Lol... Mr brown frog made himself a nice bed in the moss.
DSC_0087.JPG

Ludwigia repens, didn't stay submersed very long.. Nice plant actualy to grow emersed from the aqaurium.. It grows simmular to Creeping Jenny but more dense.. Still waiting for flowers, can't take long anymore i hope..
DSC_0089.JPG

:)

Hi all, Do you have a local fish shop? I've taken my spare moss into a couple of shops and in one case they even give me a credit note for it.

cheers Darrel

Yes i do, actualy rather close maybe 1km.. But i asked them before and the aqaurium corner clerck wasn't realy interested.
They are also not particularly into plants, its more an aqaurium fish store, all aquarium plants they have available are too old and in horrible condition most of the time. Hence that's possibly why they never sell any. I don't buy 'm there, not even fish, i only come there for food and pond plants and stuff. The aqaurium corner is less than impressive. I guess if the boss is happy the clerks are happy too. :) The other place is PetsPlace also not realy into taking plants from customers.

The pond weed (p. gayi) is already sold via local aquatic plant forum.. But the moss doesn't seem to atrackt any buyers since i can't give it a name i guess. Maybe i should give it a fantasy name "Taxiphyllum sp. Misio Solium." :p

Hi all,
But the moss doesn't seem to atrackt any buyers since i can't give it a name i guess. Maybe i should give it a fantasy name "Taxiphyllum sp. Misio Solium."
All the names of mosses are made up anyway.

I think you need an exotic back story, a mystery moss from Surinam, Indonesia etc, imported by chance, something like
...........The first Cattleya came into Europe and UK on timber that was imported from South America. Botanists and plant collectors who noticed these growths on the logs in the yard, thought they were parasites and took them out and inserted them into slits cut into trees with sap hoping they would survive. But they didn’t. The next stage was when some imports came into Europe and the UK, they found the crates were packed with some strange plants and moss – basically used as packing material. The material was thrown around the yards. Some days later somebody noticed that the strange plants had sprouted roots and perhaps leaves......
How about Taxiphyllum <"Holambra">, arrived from the Brazilian city of that name, as packing in box of orchids, rescued by chance, easy to grow, but very rare and much sort after, you've reduced the prize for a limited time period but this is still the deal of a life-time......

cheers Darrel

Hi all, All the names of mosses are made up anyway.

I think you need an exotic back story, a mystery moss from Surinam, Indonesia etc, imported by chance, something like How about Taxiphyllum <"Holambra">, arrived from the Brazilian city of that name, as packing in box of orchids, rescued by chance, easy to grow, but very rare and much sort after, you've reduced the prize for a limited time period but this is still the deal of a life-time......

cheers Darrel

Haha good one!...

My mystery story would be i likely got it from UKAPS member i think it was @parotet that i believe got it again from another female UKAPS member i forgot the name from lindsy or something. I was told it was sp. peacock.. But me hussling everthing up and growing all mosses chaoticaly in the same tanks not caring about cross contamination i lost track of what is what concerning mosses. :)

But it's already solved.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/taxiphyllum-sp-misio-solium.58514/

Hi all,
My mystery story would be i likely got it from UKAPS member i think it was @parotet that i believe got it again from another female UKAPS member i forgot the name from lindsy or something. I was told it was sp. peacock..
@Lindy.

Mystery solved. I think that your moss <"originally came from me">, via Lindy and Jordi, and I.........don't know what it is, or where I originally got it from.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all, @Lindy.

Mystery solved. I think that your moss originally came from me, via Lindy and Jordi, and I.........don't know what it is, or where I originally got it from.

cheers Darrel
Yes it was @Lindy ,but my member list popup doesn't seem to function correctly when using the @ it didn't show.

Lovely story! And now its back on its way again to Great Britain.. But for what its worth Grown under the Dutch Sun huged by a Brown frog.

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/taxiphyllum-sp-misio-solium.58514/#post-571591

Ps.
Actualy thinking of it quite a journey.. From UK to Spain, from Spain to The Netherands and Back to UK.. :clap: This moss traveld more than i did..

Last edited:
Back