• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ID Algae

Hanuman

Hello everyone,

Got these algae in my buce tank. I think there are two species although I could be wrong. They both seem to be filamentous algae type.
IMG_1311.JPG IMG_1310.JPG
IMG_1309.JPG

Looks like some sort of thread algae and maybe staghorn algae.
Either way the cause of both is probably low or fluctuating CO2 and/or poor CO2 flow and distribution and maybe organics build up.

Looks familiar, i have something like that too, with the naked eye and by feel i thought its Clado or something.. But i also noticed it branching and now i think its actualy a Characeae sp. Because if i look at it under 60x magnification (pocket microscope) it looks more like a plant than algae. But it hates H2O2 and can control it a bit with using this sometimes to spot treat. :)

Looks like some sort of thread algae and maybe staghorn algae.
Either way the cause of both is probably low or fluctuating CO2 and/or poor CO2 flow and distribution and maybe organics build up.

Yes that's usually the cause. Co2 fluctuation not so sure as Co2 is stable unless my regulator is acting up. Would have to check that up. Flow distribution... umm could be although I am using a spray bar that is nearly the length of the tank with little obstruction. It's a 60cm tank. I am using an Eheim 2215.
Organic buildup yes that sounds right. Since I have a pack-load of buce in that tank and they have melted quite considerably it could be that lots of organics have accumulated. I did my best to vacuum at each water change but I can still see some remains. That tank is not a scape. It was setup to merely to host all the buces I bought from a farm a few month back with the objective of propagating them. So far it's a failure. I believe my fertilizing regime (or its inconsistency) is to blame. Thinking Buce are not hungry plants I usually dosed sparingly but not regularly. I believe this has promoted as well the development of algae. At the beginning I also used to only use RO water but a few month back I switched to 50% RO and 50% tap. My understanding is that 100% RO would be best as buce prefer low ppm conditions. At least that is what the farmer told me. Should I got back to 100% RO?
This is the tank. Picture is old. Tank looks basically the same now minus all those floating trimmings. I was using them to filter the water at the beginning. Don't pay attention to the drop checker color. It's usually lime green.
IMG_0915.JPG

Looks familiar, i have something like that too, with the naked eye and by feel i thought its Clado or something.. But i also noticed it branching and now i think its actualy a Characeae sp. Because if i look at it under 60x magnification (pocket microscope) it looks more like a plant than algae. But it hates H2O2 and can control it a bit with using this sometimes to spot treat. :)
I do use Hydrogen peroxide sometimes but I am always concerned about burning the young buce leafs or even the roots. What you guys thinks about that?

Last edited:
When i use it i stay away from the plants.. If it attaches to hardscape than i take out as much as possible by hand and look closely if some tiny parts are left on it. Than i put few ml H2O2 on the hardscape or substrate to kill it off. Or spray it on the hard scape when it emerses during a water change.

I believe/red some do use a very weak bleech bath for desinfecting plants also killing algae. If yu search for Bleech dip you will find some references.
I do not have personal experience with it..

I have used Easy Carbo (glut) in the past, this can be slightly overdosed and also is a desinfecting algecide.. But Hair Algae from the Clado and or Chara family are not realy affected these are much to plant like and almost impossible to eradicate completely. I have 3 water bodies in the garden and 3 aqauriums at the time, 4 suffer from this hair algae but 1. The tub with the gold fish doesn't have it.. Can only mean the goldfish eat it. And in the others i have it already for years, but under control with sufficient maintenance. Had some Black Mollies in the past and they also eat it, but these are not realy my favorit fish to keep.

@zozo Will look into those bath. you might be right though those baht might not work with those algae.

Mollies in the past and they also eat it, but these are not realy my favorit fish to keep.
Why so? They are easy to care for.

Try Amano and cherry shrimp, see if that helps.
I used to have 12 CS in there but half died when I didn't so a water change for 2 weeks, or so I think. They might have died for other reasons as well. Never found their bodies but that's probably because there is 1 Clea Helena in there meant to take care of casualties like these. With 1 Clea Helena I know it will not reproduce so it's ok to have it.

I will add some Amano you are right. Just dislike the fact Amano shrimps are expensive and that their larvae can't survive in soft water :lol:. In my other tanks I see those Amano full of eggs regularly and can't do anything to avoid the inevitable.

Last edited:
Why so? They are easy to care for.

Poecilias had them all in the past, very long time ago as a kid.. I guess i had them to much and to long and i'm kinda done with.. They simply don't fit in my ideas anymore. :)

Back