• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

4ft tank 1st in 5 yrs

It’s been awhile since I’ve kept M altispinosus but they’ve been model citizens in the shop display tank - think jungle planted :cool:
(relatively low light especially once the surface lily leaves take over - note tank is near window and definitely receives more natural light than fluorescent light)

If you do want to try them with Corydoras and shrimp, I’d establish these first
Also like their ramirezi counterpart, ensure optimum water quality before adding

(and can’t recall if I’ve mentioned (to you) check Bolivian ram stock closely for any emaciation/shrunken belly - they seem to (often) ship in with some internal parasites that cause gradual wasting leading to early death; I’d have Metronidazole on hand if possible and feed Metro~soaked food for 5-7 day, then repeat at intervals if needed, levamisole would also be effective but it’s rather less palatable, you could also try praziquantel~soaked food but again less palatable
Seachem Focus (I don’t know of any hobby level alternate source of this binding compound) is strongly recommended when preparing medicated foods)

wow a fair bit to think about with this option.... hmmmm thanks for the input..

i shall do some research

It’s been awhile since I’ve kept M altispinosus but they’ve been model citizens in the shop display tank - think jungle planted :cool:
(relatively low light especially once the surface lily leaves take over - note tank is near window and definitely receives more natural light than fluorescent light)

If you do want to try them with Corydoras and shrimp, I’d establish these first
Also like their ramirezi counterpart, ensure optimum water quality before adding

(and can’t recall if I’ve mentioned (to you) check Bolivian ram stock closely for any emaciation/shrunken belly - they seem to (often) ship in with some internal parasites that cause gradual wasting leading to early death; I’d have Metronidazole on hand if possible and feed Metro~soaked food for 5-7 day, then repeat at intervals if needed, levamisole would also be effective but it’s rather less palatable, you could also try praziquantel~soaked food but again less palatable
Seachem Focus (I don’t know of any hobby level alternate source of this binding compound) is strongly recommended when preparing medicated foods)

got me thinking, would uk breed rams be safer? is that a thing?

I’d extend some wood or stones into the left corner for fish cover (to suit the Bolivian rams)

Must admit I’m never a fan of flat black painted tank backs ;) - use a backing so you can easily change colors out :D

Jurijs mit JS has a video on aquarium backgrounds
i fully want 2/3 heavy planted with an edge feel to the tank, just personal choice and if it does not work i can spread the plants... i have read they like cover so i am getting lights sorted and more plants

anyone knowledgeable on cycling...

i have been 0 for a few days, did water change and added ammonia and zero in morning so i bought some fish.

they didnt have bolivian rams so i got some corys and amano shrimp yay.

my question however is,

how long will the bacteria colony last for? i was cycling at 3 a nice green on ammonia... which was 6ml of ammonia.

now my fish will not keep that sort of bio load so i assume some bacteria will not be fed... and i expect it to die back,

so how long have i got to get my rams? before this happenz?

anyone knowledgeable on cycling...

Once the bacteria reach a reasonable population they can multiple their numbers very fast (hours) in response to increased loads, just dont go mad adding livestock, shrimp and snails dont really count to the bio load IMO.
I clean my filter weekly so will massively reduce the Bact population but bacteria double every 20 mins under ideal condition's. If you have 1 bacteria and it divides every 20mins with ideal conditions in 72hrs the colony would be bigger in size than the earth:eek:, but ideal conditions dont last long ;)

added some more plants... totally think im letting the plants down due to lights...

20190812_194535.jpg
20190812_194542.jpg
20190812_194435.jpg

bought some wafers for shrimp. one just walked off with the tablet

so tonight i start my DIY half diy really lights... floodlights cost £12 spent another £15 on wires and plugs etc.

took advice from a friend and inlaw who do electrics.

lights are 30w and 240volt max so suggested 8amp in fuse, only had 5amps... so will see how i go, worst case is amp blows.

plan is to connect the 3 gang wires in a box.. seal it with acrylic sealant due to staying in the hood.

fingers crossed lol

o and snacks.....
20190815_221925.jpg
20190815_221920.jpg
IMG-20190815-WA0006.jpeg
20190815_221911.jpg
20190815_221908.jpg

IMG-20190815-WA0008.jpeg
well...i have one wired up with a 5amp...

i read online its volts / wats which = 8 :confused:

@Zeus. @zozo

well thank you both.

£40 and i now have 2 30w LED floodlights...

turn them on just to see the light and wow... with in 2 minutes i got some pearling from some plants (which was yet to be seen before)

if one fails in 30,000 hrs i just cut the cable ties and hook the next one up... which is around £10.00

so couple of annoying things. the lights i ordered said 900mm cable.. it had 9... 9 INCHES!!! so i sealed the 3 gang box's up with acrylic sealant. i might in the future get some water proof gang box and do a proper job. but i had no lights sooooo.

then the flood light brackets were just toooo wide... so with my dad we brain stormed ideas, the quickest less permanent and allows easy changes was cable ties. and it works really simple.

i do think a small 3rd one might be required on far left side... but i kind of also like it a bit darker...

let me know your thoughts.

IF YOU THINK I HAVE MESSED UP SOME WERE ALONG THE WAY DO NOT SHY AWAY TELL ME... I will never take offence to help and support.

you really can see the light beam in first photo...
20190817_232342.jpg
20190817_233400.jpg
20190817_233404.jpg
20190817_233357.jpg

So 2400lm x2, 300litres so

Lumen to plant guide its not PAR so its a rough estimate, but you have to use what you have got.

so if the light was even all over the tank you would have about 16lm/litre but its not as its a spotlight so you may well have 40lm/l+ in some areas/spots - caution watch for signs of pinholes in leaves as first sign of plants not coping with the intensity esp the crypts IME and esp if the CO2 isnt dailed in enough. You could always add a filter to reduce the lights output. Think it needs 3 lights maybe four!

my wood has been floating for 1 week now... sink already!!!!

They can take some time to sink, better weighted down or bucket of boiling water helps get some of the air out

just some extra photos of my babies.

also happy to report finally counted all 6 cory kensi.. seriously thought id lost one..

on the last picture, should i be concerned about those air bubbles?
20190821_194244.jpg
20190821_194123.jpg
20190821_200334.jpg
20190821_194611.jpg

Back