• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Always seem to be having problems :(

Lee Murray

Hey guys, I'm having, (yet more) problems with my plants. I set up a 120L tank on the 15th August using aquatic compost on the bottom with a layer of gravel then sand on top, 2 days later everything seemed fine so I added some decor and plants, (pic 1), followed the day after by fish from another tank, (1x Angelfish, 2x Rams, 2x Dwarf Honey Gouramis and 2x Albino Corys..........I added 3x Otocinclus yesterday), the plants came from 1 of my other tanks, the Amazon Sword and Hygrophila difformis which I've had for a while seem ok but those I've had about a month or so, (Hygrophila costata, Micranthemum umbrosum and to a lesser extent Nymphoides hydrophylla Taiwan), seem to be doing terrible since going into this tank around the 20th of this month, (2nd, 3rd & 4th pics are from 23rd August and the last 2 from today). The temperature is kept around 25.9c and filtration is via a Fluval U2, which to be honest I don't like and intend to change for an external. I dose 2ml of Easycarbo per day along with 20ml of EI salts, (micro one day macro the next with a rest on Saturdays and a w/c Sundays). As you can hopefully see from the pics leaves are turning brown and stems are melting, I also have a build up of algae on the glass. The Hygrophila costata in my 340L seems to be struggling as well but everything else, (Swords, Crypts, Taiwan, Hygrophila difformis and others), seem to be doing fine.
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

17th August.jpg 23,8,19.jpg 23.08.19.jpg 23rd August 2019.jpg 31.08.19.jpg 31.8.19.jpg

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Suggestions maybe, no idea if they are the cause or would fix things but in general seem amongst the most suggested and cause of problems.
-up the water change to 50% weekly for a starter, a little more frequently is often a good thing when you're having problems.
-reduce lighting to 6 hours, reduce the power too if you can.
-change filter or get better flow/circulation around the aquarium using a power head if this is not happening.

It might be a bit late for some of the plants but with the stems try removing them and using any healthier looking ones take the green tops, strip a few leaves back and try replanting them - you just never know. People with better experience of rescuing plants on here and will give better advice, I'm sure. :)

-I personally might question adding the livestock a couple of days after setting the aquarium up, no idea if you used all new water and filter media? If you still have the other aquarium on the go you could consider adding them back in there and try to stabilise this aquarium first then add livestock in a slow and sensible order.

-No idea about the substrate method so hopefully someone with experience might help you here.

Just a few things to think about but good luck. ;)

-up the water change to 50% weekly for a starter, a little more frequently is often a good thing when you're having problems.............Will do
-reduce lighting to 6 hours, reduce the power too if you can.........................OK
-change filter or get better flow/circulation around the aquarium using a power head if this is not happening........................Hoping to change filter soon

It might be a bit late for some of the plants but with the stems try removing them and using any healthier looking ones take the green tops, strip a few leaves back and try replanting them........... Done that

-I personally might question adding the livestock a couple of days after setting the aquarium up, no idea if you used all new water and filter media? If you still have the other aquarium on the go you could consider adding them back in there and try to stabilise this aquarium first then add livestock in a slow and sensible order......................Water was 50% from one tank and 50% new, filter had been running in another tank for a few weeks, original tank is now holding fire tetras which are very small, don't think they'd be too happy about the rams and angelfish

-No idea about the substrate method so hopefully someone with experience might help you here

Just a few things to think about but good luck...................... Cheers much appreciated

Back