• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Having a go at a nano tank

DEL 707

I had a planted tank a few years ago, but despite my best efforts, everything went wrong.

I added more flow, better lighting, added CO2 and starting making my own ferts, but no matter what I tried, I couldn't get my algae problem under control. It ended in a rather depressing manner and I sold the tank.

I had kept fish before in my old house, several fresh water and a 5ft reef tank, with little to no problems. The main difference was that I was not on a water meter and I had my own RO unit.

I know the water in my part of England is rather hard.

"Your water hardness

271 mg/l CaCO₃

19.00 English degrees or degrees clar
k27.14 French degrees
15.20 German degrees
2.71 mmol/l
15.20 Grains per US gallon
19.00 Grains per British Gallon

This means your water is classified as hard"

http://cdn.southeastwater.co.uk/Files/West Ashford.pdf

I'm tempted to get a RO unit and have another go at a planted tank, but this time I want to try a nano tank, around 5 gallons.Main reason is to keep costs down, incase I fail.

I have a few questions though.

Can anyone recommend a small RO unit for the job? Something that can attach to my taps, instead of tapping into a pipe.

What products do people use to put minerals back into their RO?

I've seen some people do it, but how hard is it to run a low tech tank, i.e no filter?

Are there any plant guides out there for nano tanks without CO2? I love carpet plants, but my last experiment with glossostigma was disastrous.

Are there any kits tanks out there worth the money, or should I be looking to buy everything seperately?

Looking for a nice nano tank, 1 where the filter is hidden, seen 3 that I like the look of, but I could do with some opinions.

Fluval Flex 57
Fluval Spec 60L
Aqua One AquaNano 40

At the moment, I'm veering more towards the AquaNano 40.

Hi all,
I couldn't get my algae problem under control.
<"Floating plants"> and <"snails"> are your friend.
Can anyone recommend a small RO unit for the job?
Could you collect rain-water? It makes life a lot easier.
What products do people use to put minerals back into their RO?
You can use a mix from <"James' Planted Tank">, or an easier option is just cut the RO/rain-water with some tap water.
I've seen some people do it, but how hard is it to run a low tech tank, i.e no filter?
It is definitely possible. Have a look at @Soilwork's <"Why filter?"> thread.
I love carpet plants, but my last experiment with glossostigma was disastrous
You could try moss. Have a look at @LondonDragon's <"shrimp tank">, @Iain Sutherland's <"Taiwan Bee not so nano"> or @Joel S's <"Monstronarium">.

cheers Darrel

Back