• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Mission Bathtub 2019

Hi all,
Yes it was @Lindy ,but my member list popup
don't know what it is, or where I originally got it from.
Might have been @MirandaB? In which case the moss originally came from Gerard (@frothhelmet)
..........There is a thought, Gerard @frothhelmet sent me an unknown moss in ~2010, which I decided was a "Peacock moss" like Taxiphyllum spp. and I might have sent some to @MirandaB?
Actually from <"earlier in this thread">.

So we have @frothhelmet to thank for the moss and <"Black-worms">. I don't have any proof, but I think most of the Black-worms (Lumbriculus) on sale in the UK originated from the ones that he brought back from the States (@BigTom, and various other people distributed them in the N. of the UK).

Looking back if I added together all the moss I've given away/posted over the last ~10 years, it must be at least 100 of litres of moss, probably two or three footballs worth of Bolbitis, literally a swimming pools worth of floaters and ~a kilo of Black-worms as well.

Maybe I should have <"tried to sell them">.

cheers Darrel

Might have been @MirandaB? In which case the moss originally came from Gerard (@frothhelmet) Actually from <"earlier in this thread">.

Yup, good find.. That's the one.. It's from Miranda via Jordi.. :)

Looking back if I added together all the moss I've given away/posted over the last ~10 years, it must be at least 100 of litres of moss, probably two or three footballs worth of Bolbitis, literally a swimming pools worth of floaters and ~a kilo of Black-worms as well.

Maybe I should have <"tried to sell them">.

I know the feeling, not only for giving away plants.. I rarely ask money for stuff or services.. Depends on who's to benefit.
Usualy i only work for family, friends and generaly people i like. But than i work (spend time) for free. Besides having a regular job.. If i don't like or don't know you, i don't like to work for you not even if you offer me x 10 what it is worth. Money doesn't inspire me.. But kindness and love does.. And if i like you i realy love to do what i can do best.

Over the course or my life, if i asked money for all that i gave away or did for poeple i like, i think i could have bought a small house.. And i still live rented.. :lol:

Dunno if it's a legit Britisch saying. But i kinda live by the code "He who does good, meets well". And if you fool me once, shame on you, if you fool me twice shame on me. And till now i can't complain it served me well.

And my judge of character says.. I feel we are quite the same in this way.. :thumbup:

Hi all,
I know the feeling, not only for giving away plants.. I rarely ask money for stuff or services.. Depends on who's to benefit.
I think it is to every-one benefit, I've been the recipient of gifts from many people (including from @zozo). If @frothhelmet hadn't given me the moss and black-worms I wouldn't have been able to swap them on.

If giving some-one some plants can persuade them that plants make a real difference to aquarium keeping that is a win-win situation.
But i kinda live by the code "He who does good, meets well". And if you fool me once, shame on you, if you fool me twice shame on me. And till now i can't complain it served me well.
I do the same, I initially assume the people I meet are decent and honest, if that proves to be untrue I try and avoid having any dealings with them, and if I am obliged to I don't trust anything they say.

I may have been lucky, but the vast majority of people I've dealt with have been absolutely fine.

cheers Darrel

Another not realy spectacular but still nice little detail.. Some moss growing semi emersed at a vertical wooden wall.

And a few Cyperus alternifolius seeds blew in by the wind finding the perfect spot by chance and germinated.

DSC_0095.JPG

Now this is outdoor, if it ever starts to freeze this winter it wont survive. But in an indoor setup this will do perfectly ok.

Cyperus is a perfect plant for this, its cheap in the garden centre, keep a mature plant outdoor in the summer well watered and sunny and it will flower and carry seeds like mad to collect. These seeds again can be used to germinate on emersed and moss covered rocks and DW in the indoor aqaurium.

Finaly it will get to big, but that will take a rather long time like this. :)

I have a lot Cyperus seeds collected, next years spring i'll sow them myself in this moss. I guess it'll look awsome.

Back