• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sagittaria subulata melting

SRP3006

Hi all,

My SS has been melting at a very fast rate for a little while now. It seems to be spreading through the thick growth from one spot.

Could dosing liquid carbon be causing this?
I've got a 1.2 ph drop for lights on and stable throughout photoperiod
6 hour photoperiod.
Dosing full EI via doser

Cheers
Sam.
d7d8bf8024d63f408325f80145d8e1c5.jpg

I dont know but if your co2 levels are good why dont you test your theory and stop the liquid cardon for a while

I dont know but if your co2 levels are good why dont you test your theory and stop the liquid cardon for a while
I have stopped for 2 days now. Only dosed it as I had some algae build up on the very top of the redmoor. I heard somewhere that SS is in the same family as vallisneria so could be why.

I have had sag be effected by a liquid co2 overdose. It was in the same tank as vallis which completely died off (like 100% gone!) The sag wasn't nearly as badly affected but definately didn't like it. I personally believe liquid co2 to be highly ineffective... I would just use it as an algecide at water changes personally... i can provide more detail if interested...

S. subulata is a rather slow growing plant, but once it is established it survives and grows very low light / tech conditions.
It absolutely doesn't need CO² or Liquid Carbon, it needs a ton of patience. It needs a large healthy rootsystem, without CO² it can take a year and than you'll see it pop all over the tank. :) It wont realy grow faster but in more numbers.

If you like a simmular looking and fatser growing and spreading easy plant. Take a look at Lilaeopsis brasilienis. This also stays a tad smaller. Also an ideal plant sp. to grow in contrasting combination with s. subulata. :)

It had developed nicely and spread quite well during a 12 week Dry start. After I flooded it continued to spread, which is why I was stumped when it started melting.

I have stopped for 2 days now. Only dosed it as I had some algae build up on the very top of the redmoor. I heard somewhere that SS is in the same family as vallisneria so could be why.
I don’t think SS and Val’s are in the same family even though they look alike. Val’s is a true aquatic plants, lacking waxy cuticle to resist glut attack. SS is a flowering marshy plant. I think the melting is a transition shock from emerged to submerged form in dry start cultivation.

I don’t think SS and Val’s are in the same family even though they look alike. Val’s is a true aquatic plants, lacking waxy cuticle to resist glut attack. SS is a flowering marshy plant. I think the melting is a transition shock from emerged to submerged form in dry start cultivation.
I would've thought the same if it hadn't been flooded for 2 months and shown considerate growth and spread.
2 months after flooding seems too long to start to transitioning don't u think?

I would've thought the same if it hadn't been flooded for 2 months and shown considerate growth and spread.
2 months after flooding seems too long to start to transitioning don't u think?
Yes, it doesn’t sound like it’s transitional shock. The suspect could be glut as that’s the only new thing you did.

I grow SS in a gallon jar by the window with strong filtered sunlight with no CO2 and it has grown into a jungle. I recently transferred some to my CO2 tank with medium light and I dose 2 ppm Glut weekly after WC to control algae. It is not melting but shows no appreciable growth for 2 months. It is still adapting and waiting for it to take off, hopefully.

What ppm and frequency of glut are you dosing, as dosage makes a difference on the effect.

Attachments

• 33D13F94-FC87-4765-856E-4E3E0D77DA5C.jpeg
    33D13F94-FC87-4765-856E-4E3E0D77DA5C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 144
  • DDB3427E-8C95-4E5B-981A-58CAB6483CA8.jpeg
    DDB3427E-8C95-4E5B-981A-58CAB6483CA8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 143
What ppm and frequency of glut are you dosing, as dosage makes a difference on the effect.

I was dosing 10ml a day, strangely enough where I was dosing it with the syringe the sag is just below, so the spray bar would push it down the front glass and into the sag where it's melting.
Hopefully I will start to see some new growth soon, as it's only melting in one area.
Up to now it has grown like a weed.

I was dosing 10ml a day, strangely enough where I was dosing it with the syringe the sag is just below, so the spray bar would push it down the front glass and into the sag where it's melting.
Hopefully I will start to see some new growth soon, as it's only melting in one area.
Up to now it has grown like a weed.
10 ml a day means nothing without knowing the dosage strength and tank volume. You have to convert it to ppm by dividing the strength X the volume of the dosage by the volume of the tank. Directly spraying at the plant shouldn’t have any impact because your tank water is circulating to dilute the concentration.

I dose 22 ml of 2.6% Glut to achieve 2 ppm in my 75 gal tank after each weekly WC, and don’t dose daily. Daily low dosing is for liquid carbon. High after WC dosage is to control algae.

10 ml a day means nothing without knowing the dosage strength and tank volume. You have to convert it to ppm by dividing the strength X the volume of the dosage by the volume of the tank. Directly spraying at the plant shouldn’t have any impact because your tank water is circulating to dilute the concentration.

I dose 22 ml of 2.6% Glut to achieve 2 ppm in my 75 gal tank after each weekly WC, and don’t dose daily. Daily low dosing is for liquid carbon. High after WC dosage is to control algae.

Sorry, the glut is 2% strength, I'm afraid you lost me a bit on the calculation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your dosage is 0.5 ppm, good for liquid carbon but too mild to harm higher plants, including Vals. Seachem Excel recommends 2 ppm after WC, and 0.4 ppm daily.

2/100 x 10 /(400 x 1000) x 1000000 = 0.5

Your dosage is 0.5 ppm, good for liquid carbon but too mild to harm higher plants, including Vals. Seachem Excel recommends 2 ppm after WC, and 0.4 ppm daily.

2/100 x 10 /(400 x 1000) x 1000000 = 0.5
Thank you and thanks for showing your workings. So i was doing that daily so just above what's recommended by seachem.

Back