• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Excessive Light or Not

I have a Aqua mode 600 - 14.44 gallons or 65 litres, EI fertz and Co2 injection, furna is crypts and Blyax
Current running with 2 x 7 watts CFL tubes @ 4000k which gives me 0.969 watts per gallon
possibility of 2 x 9 watts CFL @ 4000K which would give me 1.24 watts per gallon
or I could use 2 x 11 watts CFL @ 4000k which give me 1.5 watts per gallon

Does 1.5 watts per gallon seem excessive your thoughts on how much lighting require would be helpful.

Cheer
Paul

Bump

As per above,
2 x 7 watts CFL tubes @ 4000k which gives me 0.969 watts per gallon / 910 Lumens
2 x 9 watts CFL @ 4000K which would give me 1.24 watts per gallon / 1166 lumens
2 x 11 watts CFL @ 4000k which give me 1.5 watts per gallon / 1800 lumens

does the latter seem excessive -

Cheers
Paul

Thanks Darrel

I does not want to get back my diatoms which I have been suffering from for years - since changing from 6500K (S.A.D Daylight tubes) to 4000k CFL my diatoms has gone.

Cheers
Paul

Hi all,
I does not want to get back my diatoms which I have been suffering from for years - since changing from 6500K (S.A.D Daylight tubes) to 4000k CFL my diatoms has gone.
I'm not sure.

I wouldn't have thought that the (relatively) small difference in colour temperature would have such a significant effect on Diatom growth, but I don't tend to get many Diatoms in the tank.

Why do you want to change the light? How is your Blyyxa doing?

I tend to have a more complete layer of floating plants with a brighter light. I don't have a PAR meter, so I just thin that by eye.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, I'm not sure.

I wouldn't have thought that the (relatively) small difference in colour temperature would have such a significant effect on Diatom growth, but I don't tend to get many Diatoms in the tank.

Why do you want to change the light? How is your Blyyxa doing?

I tend to have a more complete layer of floating plants with a brighter light. I don't have a PAR meter, so I just thin that by eye.

cheers Darrel

Hi darrel

Always had an issue with diatoms only minor / medum and after reading a thread on here I change from 1x 11 watt 6500k 865 daylight (for SAD symdrome) and 1 x 11 watt 2700K 840 warm white , I was only using one CFL which was the 6500k, the tank should be running with 2 x 11 watts as per OEM spec.
So two week ago I swapped to 2 x 7 watt 4000k 840 Cool white CFL tubes and my diatoms has gone. Since then I have added Blyax which like plenty of light and under the right condition the tips turn redish colour - some leafs are melting atm but I put it down to its new tank condition different water parameters, but in the back of my mind could it be down to lighting so I want to add 2 x 11 watts 4000K @ 1800 lumes CFL but I dont want to induce the diatoms again - its nice to see a algae free tank.

Cheers
Paul

Back