• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need 45P cabinet plans

Deano3

Hi everyone, recenelty purchased a 45p from gary and looking forward to setting up, in the past i done a whole jurnal on my ada 60p cabinet, i am going to do another one for this tank but need some plans of anyone has them ?

Last time i used mdf but think going to use ply this time as most people seem to be and its also tougher.

Any help would be great

Thanks dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

There's the 2 in the links below on here, unsure either are my exact choice but yours for the viewing. - I don't know what your plans looked like before.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/diy-ada-60cm-tank-and-stand-project.533/
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/diy-90cm-aquarium-cabinet-ada-style.52588/

I'd be a bit careful with plywood choice as recently a lot seems to be having abnormally large voids and also the layers are not stuck together correctly.
Maybe look more towards a marine ply or even better Beech throughout plywood but these do cost more and aren't necessarily without their faults.

Thanks for that i will have a better look when get home, i used mdf last time but ply is tougher, i would love solid wood but not sure on prices, i have pine doors and would match them but i can also paint white and i would be happy with that.

Is marine grade ply easy to come by ?

Also the plans i had were drawn up for me on here by james d i think not sure if he is still around but i didnt have a door on hinges the whole door just lifted off bottom pannel and i preffered that for easy access.

Thanks dean

i used mdf last time but ply is tougher
It's more about water tolerance, moisture resistant MDF is widely available but personally I wouldn't use it for an aquarium cabinet. You could argue that when painted etc if done correctly then there is no need to bare in mind water resilience but I don't think it's the best product for building an aquarium cabinet structure wise. A lot of MDF has become 'Caberlite' (or Cabershite as I prefer) in recent years so is not as dense either.

Marine grade ply is widely available but the price really is horrific; maybe look toward beech throughout ply instead although that is also quite expensive.
Ask the retailer to explain everything if you go that route with regard to structure, glues etc.

Although I don't have any pictures I've built an aquarium cabinet from solid wood kitchen worktops before and other furniture simply as it's really easy to work with and very tough.
This in my opinion is about the most simple way to build an aquarium cabinet; materials may cost a little more but you could have it built in a fraction of the time and requires far less work to finish.
I wouldn't recommend Pine for this above method but you could use anther wood (a hardwood) and then stain/oil/varnish to look more like your pine doors, in colour at least.
The choice of wood depends on the finish of your doors but Ash could be a good choice as could beech.
The only downfall of this method is adding doors in the same colour; easily done using a veneered plywood but depends on who you know a lot of the time.

Adding doors is easy to most types of cabinet and many cabinet hinges allow you to simply clip them on/off the cabinet instead of having to use a screwdriver so maybe worth reconsidering a hinged door.

Any questions let me know

Defently going with ply as wood etc be too expensive and will look better in white, i will need to purchase from likes of b&q or maxwells so i will have to see what ply they have, i may also add a shelf inside for food and things, just a half shelf maybe.

What is normal height etc ? Does anyone have a plan for ADA 45p 45x27x30cm ?

I will use 22mm ply maybe or will 18mm be enough ? And also ply if better than mdf ? I mever had any problems with my mdf one in the forums but will do ply if stronger.

Thanks dean

My friend recommended WBP ply over marine due to the cost difference nce and is only the next grade down. I think it’s £35-£45 a sheet rather than £80+ for marine.

My friend recommended WBP ply over marine due to the cost difference nce and is only the next grade down. I think it’s £35-£45 a sheet rather than £80+ for marine.
That’s just basically you’re Structural Hardwood Ply, not water proof and is cheaper, same strength but you’re stand shouldn’t be getting wet IMO?

I am just going to use normal ply from likes of bandq, i used mdf last time and give a good 3 coats and never had any isues at all and used all gloss inside.

Is 18mm ok to use or would you recomend thicker ?

I need some plans first as i will be no good at the design. Hoping someone can help who maybe has already done them for a 45p

Thanks dean

What is normal height etc ?
Just have a google around for the dimensions of the main cabinet and go from there - I found this link with some information quite easily.
Maybe have a read through the latter part of this thread. Building stands/cabinets is a minefield and you will hear many things from many people with different views; some seem completely stupid in my opinion but who says I'm not the stupid one?!
My friend recommended WBP ply over marine due to the cost difference nce and is only the next grade down.
That’s just basically you’re Structural Hardwood Ply, not water proof and is cheaper, same strength but you’re stand shouldn’t be getting wet IMO?
I'd argue that no plywood is waterproof; it's the glues used that are the waterproof part and most types of plywood do use a waterproof glue. Wood is not a waterproof product.
My knowledge tells me that WBP (often known as shuttering ply) has waterproof glue and the WBP part does stand for weather/water and boil proof but this is all within certain tolerances. This generally cheaper grade is made using cheaper woods and simply doesn't have faces that look as nice and often filled.

I started to write some more but think it's a bad idea as plywood is such a varying product. I still think you should listen to the comment I made before, speak with the retailer and take the above as you like.
Ask the retailer to explain everything if you go that route with regard to structure, glues etc.

@Deano3 I think the only person that can decide on material, size etc is you.
I think you know what you want in your head so why not try just drawing it out.

I would say if you just keep in mind that all the weight is carried from the top downwards then having the top/capping to the aquarium sitting on/overhanging the sides at least is a very good idea and of course then ensuring those supporting sides are supported correctly to the floor below.

Thanks for that i will draw up a plan and get your opinion , i have seen 60cm aquariums on 12mm ply so i will get thicker , i will see what bandq does.

Will get some draw up then come back here cheers everyone.

Dean

If you are going the B&Q route look out for a store nearby that has a panel saw in, you might be able to get them to cut it all for free if you go equipped with a cutting list, then again if you have to pay 50p per cut (for example) is that such a bad thing if it saves you all that work and should be absolutely square whereas a plywood sheet might not be.
*Panel saws are something other timber merchants have including a lot of Travis Perkins where you are likely to find a better quality plywood although I'm sure the price won't be as cheap but it's a one off so maybe even consider a birch or marine ply.

In my opinion 12mm would be undersized.

Great news found plans for a 45p on my old 60p cabinet build, i build stand from mdf then and got all cut for free at my local b&q so will so the same again.

Going to use 18mm ply.

Should i just use wood screws and wood glue ? My last stand looked great so hopefully this one will.

Just making sure not a certain type of screw i need and what length you recomend and also i never had any adjustable feet on last stand what is currently been used by other people and 4 should do i imagine.

Thanks dean.

9093d053af6e549578ca98c643e3360d.jpg
b1b892ff6a53c8c1661fe074999b2234.jpg

Last edited:
Wood all cut asked one bloke and he said machine was broke then asked anoyher when would be fixed and he said already fixed and went on to cut it all sp happy about that.

I have plently of wood screws and some mdf screws from last time you think wood screws will be ok along woth wood glue and what length yoi recommend?

Dean
1cce6cff78c3b508ecdd75817b65232d.jpg

18mm hardwood ply from b&q will be sealed well , what screws do you think just normal wood screws and what length ?

Thanks dean

Back