• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is one light enough for me?...

EA James

Hi everyone, this my aquarium.
Currently has 2 20W 4000k led tubes. Plants are mainly various swords, some anubias, ferns and vallis.
Will one light be sufficient for growth?
I’m looking at getting rid of one to replace it with a blue light for the evening.
I’d also like to be able to dim the white light if possible?
Any help will be appreciated
Thanks, James
upload_2019-9-19_13-42-31.jpeg

Sorry but if this works well why do you want blue light?? ( longer light period gives algae risk as they can do with far less light)
If you want to see the tank in the evening shift lighting hours? My lights go on at 2 in the afternoon and are on till 10.

Sorry but if this works well why do you want blue light?? ( longer light period gives algae risk as they can do with far less light)
If you want to see the tank in the evening shift lighting hours? My lights go on at 2 in the afternoon and are on till 10.
My old 60 litre tank had 4 white light setting and 2 blue. I used 1 white and 2 blue and it looked really nice.
I’d like that on my new tank just for a couple of hours in the evening
Lights at the moment are on a timer from 6pm till midnight

Just leave it as is and use 1 small IP68 (waterproof) RGB spotlight.. Mount it somewhere in the corner of the hood and beam it diagonaly into the tank and dim it sufficiently.

Something like this with remote control to dim it and or change the color.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Underwater...hash=item469d328f20:m:m4MKb1wlbeZzZG7GHaETkDw

It will give a lot more realistic effect, with casted shadows and shimmer, than 1 intire strip illuminating the complete tank in blue. And i also wouldn't go for blue :) But for a dimmed cool white, this contains blue enough and looks much closer to moonlight if its dim enough..

You could hook it to a timer and the internal driver has an eprom, it always will remand and come back on in previous setting.

Just leave it as is and use 1 small IP68 (waterproof) RGB spotlight.. Mount it somewhere in the corner of the hood and beam it diagonaly into the tank and dim it sufficiently.

Something like this with remote control to dim it and or change the color.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Underwater...hash=item469d328f20:m:m4MKb1wlbeZzZG7GHaETkDw

It will give a lot more realistic effect, with casted shadows and shimmer, than 1 intire strip illuminating the complete tank in blue. And i also wouldn't go for blue :) But for a dimmed cool white, this contains blue enough and looks much closer to moonlight if its dim enough..

You could hook it to a timer and the internal driver has an eprom, it always will remand and come back on in previous setting.[/QUOTE
upload_2019-9-19_16-28-21.jpeg

This is my old tank with my preferred evening setting, I’d like to replicate this
Would your suggestion be similar?
Cheers

If you have a flash light you can reproduce the looks of one spot light.. :) Than you can see how it looks, just the color and intensity might be different.

Last edited:
In answer to a part of my question do you think one light will be ok for plant growth?

Back