• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

125L - The Re-Scape

Hi, I wouldn't trim mini hairgrass for now, it still needs to spreads and get better color, it doesn't like trimming, looks Bad when trimmed and sometimes hard to recover. Just wait until the carpet is full. :)

Stems looks OK to me
Oh okay will leave it longer then!
The stems look fine to me too, however I just think they're growing very slowly for stems ...
Especially compared to the other rotala I have, green + orange juice.

Quick update -
GzHEx7

Have to get a new co2 cannister today, bit behind with water changes but will do a big one today!

Quick update -
GzHEx7

Have to get a new co2 cannister today, bit behind with water changes but will do a big one today!
Phot doesnt seem to work mate

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Its fine i seen kn 1st post tank coming on great keep the updates coming.

Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Update post!
Tank growing in well, might give the rotala h'ra a trim this weekend as I think it could do with the boost.
Carpet almost grown in now probably another week then a trim!
My H zosterfolia is being strange, it doesn't seem to branch off into two stems when trimmed, and is dying off at the lower parts, might give this a heavy trim and hope it comes back stronger!
On another note one of my amano shrimp is pregnant! Sad they won't survive and it kind of creeps me out but cool anyway!
20191009_213718.jpg
20191009_213713.jpg
20191009_213710.jpg
20191008_160018.jpg
20191009_213705.jpg

Trim update!
Carpet looking great, definitely going to trim next week to a short amount think it'll start covering properly.

Attachments

• 20191012_171504.jpg
    20191012_171504.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 178
Sorry haven't been active

Quick update - carpet is doing badly, at what stage do I remove it? Constantly uprooting these days after I trimmed it...

H zosterfolia looks disgusting, may get rid of this and replace with rotala green or something similar.

Trying to get my rotala h Ra red but I don't think I have strong enough lights ... :I

20191030_170403.jpg
20191030_170358.jpg
20191030_170355.jpg
20191030_170352.jpg
20191030_170347.jpg

What king of scissors are you using to trim?

What kind.of ferts?

Plants need low no3 levels to get red

A couple of thoughts -

Looking at the thermometer, it looks warm. 22-23 would be much better for gas exchange, fish will be fine at that also.

You have quite a build up on the water surface. Perhaps look at getting some glassware with a built in skim head to clear it.

A couple of thoughts -

Looking at the thermometer, it looks warm. 22-23 would be much better for gas exchange, fish will be fine at that also.

You have quite a build up on the water surface. Perhaps look at getting some glassware with a built in skim head to clear it.
That's a good idea I think I've heard this somewhere else.

With a skimmer or something similar I heard it can reduce the amount of co2 in the tank, is this a good idea?

I'm going back to doing the dosing TNC recommends rather than an ei style dosing, is this a good idea? Means around 15ml a week rather than 10ml a day.

Cheers

No the skim won’t reduce the co2, instead just add more oxygen to the filter, fish and tank which is good.

You don’t want that film on the surface. It prevents gas exchange which is bad.

You are heavily planted and using co2 so I’d suggest dosing 5ml per 50L daily of tnc Complete. Big weekly water changes.

Check out these videos on co2, they are very good :)

No the skim won’t reduce the co2, instead just add more oxygen to the filter, fish and tank which is good.

You don’t want that film on the surface. It prevents gas exchange which is bad.

You are heavily planted and using co2 so I’d suggest dosing 5ml per 50L daily of tnc Complete. Big weekly water changes.

Check out these videos on co2, they are very good :)

These are very interesting videos thank you!

Okay that's around what I was dosing before, I've heard that keeping a lean dose would be better for red plants, hence me dosing less, do you think this is a good idea? I'm having trouble making my h'ra red, the only other thing I can think is that it's just my lighting isn't strong enough.

I've got a skimmer in place and running at 22 degrees now so will see if that helps. Gonna re run my ph drop check as I'd imagine I can turn the co2 up!

I'd say stick with full dosing until you have everything growing well, if you start lean dosing while things aren't growing as you want you'll just compound the issue and not know what's causing it

Chasing reds can cause other problems (just like ramping up the lights too much to get a carpet to grow and then getting algae)

Find your sweet spot with all working well then if you still want to chase the reds, you have a healthy tank that you can notice how the plants react to alternate fert dosing and scale back on nitrogen/nitrates

I'd say stick with full dosing until you have everything growing well, if you start lean dosing while things aren't growing as you want you'll just compound the issue and not know what's causing it

Chasing reds can cause other problems (just like ramping up the lights too much to get a carpet to grow and then getting algae)

Find your sweet spot with all working well then if you still want to chase the reds, you have a healthy tank that you can notice how the plants react to alternate fert dosing and scale back on nitrogen/nitrates
Yeah I think you might be right. Think it might be too late for the hairgrass now anyway, it's uprooting every two seconds ...

Back