• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PH profile

Fisher2007

So I keep coming across posts re CO2 and ph profiles. Can anyone explain, point me in the direction of a good thread, video, etc, to explain the principle, how it works, as I'd like to understand more?

Thanks

Hi all,
Can anyone explain, point me in the direction of a good thread, video, etc, to explain the principle, how it works, as I'd like to understand more?
All you do is measure the tank pH, at regular intervals, from before you switch the CO2 on (when the drop checker is blue) <"through-out the period when the CO2 is on"> until the drop checker has returned to blue (after lights out). Have a look at @foxfish's comments in <"CO2 equipment query">.

If you note the colour of the drop checker as well you should be able to tweak the time that the CO2 comes on to ensure your full one unit pH drop just before the lights come on. You can also see if your CO2 levels have risen dangerously high towards the end of the gas period. Have a look at Dennis Wong's <"How to push the limits.....">, it talks about surface agitation and shows some optimal pH curves.*

I'm not a CO2 user (I can find enough ways to accidentally kill my fish without adding another one) but have a look at @BigTom posts on page 3. of <"Maxing CO2.......>, which shows the pH variations that occur in low tech tanks. It might also be worth looking at <"A question....."> it looks at the interaction between dissolved oxygen, pH and CO2.

*Edit: S*d, all that time editing this post, just to find @Zeus. has just posted the same thing in the thread, I could have left it 20 minutes and just said "see @Zeus.'s post".

cheers Darrel

Back