• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tissue Culture

If you can’t sterilize, then just do dry-starts or emerse culture :)

Tissue culture depends on sterile medium (lots and lots of variables here), suitable lighting (not as simple as it sounds), sterile cuttings (otherwise you’re going to culture a lot of bacteria and moulds) etc

If you can’t sterilize, then just do dry-starts or emerse culture :)
Thanks but that's not the question I am asking here. The purpose here is not to grow plants for my tanks. I am simply asking if people have tried making plant tissue cultures.

Tissue culture depends on sterile medium (lots and lots of variables here), suitable lighting (not as simple as it sounds), sterile cuttings (otherwise you’re going to culture a lot of bacteria and moulds) etc
Yes I am aware of that.

OK ... perhaps more relevant is

What equipment (or access to equipment) do you have?

What experience do you have re
- botany
- tissue culture
- nutrient mediums (the solution Tropica has developed is far trickier than the gel types)
- sterile technique
- microbiology laboratory techniques

Cost would very much depend on local markets, how much you’re able to do yourself etc etc

What are your production goals?

Thanks. That's more in line with what I was asking ;)

I have access to most equipment. I do have some equipment already used for other purposes that could be re-purposed for this project. I do not intend to have a full blown lab for his, thus my question if this is possible with less lab oriented hardware.

Experience, virtually none regarding tissue culture but looking at some dudes on youtube they don't seem that experienced that much either. Granted I don't know their results :lol:

I know myself and I know I could do most of it myself with a few weeks of hardcore self-training. Note. I wouldn't be alone in this and I already have a guy who is way more advanced than me in this area. I just want to have opinions and view from other people.

Productions goals are to supply bigger plant producer/exporters with rare species.

Last edited:
I never heard of it being done outside larger facilities, but why not give it a go.
I would talk to the
bigger plant producer/exporters
first to see what they want and if they will take the risks of using material from you in their environment. Not sure how big the risks on pathogens is and if they will risk it.

I would talk to the bigger plant producer/exporters first to see what they want and if they will take the risks of using material from you in their environment. Not sure how big the risks on pathogens is and if they will risk it.
Yes that's on the to-do-list obviously. I will not invest without making a proper market and business study.

Hello

I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried its hands on producing tissue cultured plants?

Also for the most expert people here what would you reckon the investment be in setting up a tissue culture lab. By lab I mean lab like conditions without the whole shebang.

Thank you.
Check out this guys journal on the Barr Report...Lab Journal... Tissue Culture Startup He's been through quite a journey...

Last edited:
Hi all,
Check out this guys journal on the Barr Report...Lab Journal... Tissue Culture Startup He's been through quite a journey..
Certainly has. Does he still post on the Barr Report?
I am simply asking if people have tried making plant tissue cultures.
We used to do it as <"part of one of our courses">, and years ago I did a feasibility study for a large <"UK ornamental plant producer">.

As a commercial concern, you would need to find a niche market and then you might find that you would need to keep propagating new varieties all the time to keep in front of the big boys.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all, We used to do it as <"part of one of our courses">, and years ago I did a feasibility study for a large <"UK ornamental plant producer">.

As a commercial concern, you would need to find a niche market and then you might find that you would need to keep propagating new varieties all the time to keep in front of the big boys.

cheers Darrel
Thanks for that valuable comment. Was feeling this would be the case.

@Tim Harrison I read the whole threat. Looks way more involved than what I thought.
@dw1305 How sharp would the learning curve be without a proper university degree?

Last edited:
I tried it before, I'll explain my process:
  • Glass jars and lids were boiled in water for 10 minutes
  • Plants and utensils soaked in bleach solution for two hours
  • Nutrient solution produced using Agar, boiling water and orchid fertiliser
  • Once the gel had set I added the plant cuttings
  • Sealed the jars and left them in the windowsill
Most of the plants slowly wilted away. I later found out that hormones are critical in tissue culture to promote root growth, rhizome growth and such. There is one person here in SA that actually converted a garage into a sterile lab to produce their own plants for the local market and are somewhat successful.

Hi all,
How sharp would the learning curve be without a proper university degree?
There isn't a huge amount of science knowledge required, but it would really help if you understood a bit about aseptic culture and the scientific method. We had the problems that @X3NiTH notes in the Barr Report thread, it is really difficult to avoid microbial contamination.
I later found out that hormones are critical in tissue culture to promote root growth, rhizome growth and such
I'd definitely buy in the culture mediums, you might need different auxin:cytokinin ratios for the propagation and growth stages.

cheers Darrel

Does he still post on the Barr Report?
His last post was his last journal entry, July 3 2019, unfortunately. I've dropped him a pm, maybe he'll reply and I'll find out how his business is doing.

Hi all, There isn't a huge amount of science knowledge required, but it would really help if you understood a bit about aseptic culture and the scientific method. We had the problems that @X3NiTH notes in the Barr Report thread, it is really difficult to avoid microbial contamination.I'd definitely buy in the culture mediums, you might need different auxin:cytokinin ratios for the propagation and growth stages.

cheers Darrel

Thank you. Yes I read that post from him.

I saw this video where the guy explains about the auxin and cythokinin ratios. Interesting indeed.

Back