• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquascaper 600 “ happy I think..maybe not”

So more elephant skin stone added, aquascape changed slightly.
I’m happyish, might get some more bruc for between the stones...
Again any advice greatly appreciated ;)

Oscar

Attachments

• 05ABC472-43D4-45BE-BD0E-6D18FD90202F.jpeg
    05ABC472-43D4-45BE-BD0E-6D18FD90202F.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 287
  • E1C519EE-A222-4070-84FF-420453D9EDEB.jpeg
    E1C519EE-A222-4070-84FF-420453D9EDEB.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 302
  • 40051924-F352-4E08-9567-D6B590056D7C.jpeg
    40051924-F352-4E08-9567-D6B590056D7C.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 275
Oscar

Your presentation is very good no bits and pieces laying around which is always very distracting.

The wall paper makes an interesting backing for the Aquascape I appears to give it added depth.

Your Aquascape is well balanced with everything blending in together making it a very relaxing tank to sit back and admire.

Oscar%20tank%2013.10.19%20_edited-1.jpg

Keith:wave::greenfinger:

Last edited:
Oscar

Your presentation is very good no bits and pieces laying around which is always very distracting.

The wall paper makes an interesting backing for the Aquascape I appears to give it added depth.

Your Aquascape is well balanced with everything blending in together making it a very relaxing tank to sit back and admire.

Oscar%20tank%2013.10.19%20_edited-1.jpg

Keith:wave::greenfinger:
Cheers Keith...I think the tinkering days are over, time to let the plants grow in...:thumbup:

Hi guys,
Just a small update, I’ve added some java fern/ been doing some trimming of foreground plants. Things seem stable, just the one question.. crypts doing fine/ no melt BUT taking there time to grow?! dosing with all in one feed and l/carb.. all other plants thriving.

Oscar...
82E85E16-0C56-482F-AE3E-455AB83766A5.jpeg
EE3FFCDF-647A-419E-A71F-A0AC16DD6482.jpeg

Hi guys,
Trying to figure out if I have mild or moderate lighting ?!?!
I have the ea 600 twin star light, set at around 70 percent... thoughts ?!

Oscar.

I would say the higher end of moderate lighting.
Cheers for that, I’m perplexed as I would prefer not to Dose liquid carb IF possible?!?!
Taking into consideration the all in one fert I’m using “ aquascaper evolution all in one/ George farmer endorsed ” if moderate lighting you have to dose “ liquid carb” as per directions on the bottle !?! Is this necessary as I don’t have a LARGE plant Bio..

Thoughts greatly appreciated,

Oscar..

Last edited:
When my tank was low energy , I would use the liquid carbon as an algecide. Your plants look fine at the moment so I would keep things as they are.

How are the apistos with the amano shrimp?

When my tank was low energy , I would use the liquid carbon as an algecide. Your plants look fine at the moment so I would keep things as they are.

How are the apistos with the amano shrimp?
Unfortunately they disappeared without a trace. So my thinking was that the Apistos got a bit to close.... I would really like some shrimp again but not sure if I should risk it ?!?
Oscar.

I've kept cherry shrimp with apistogramma cacatuoides before. My cherry shrimp were established for about 6 months. The tank was planted and had many hiding spaces. One the apistos would attack the shrimp whilst the other would ignore them. I found that my population decreased however they were breeding faster than being eaten. They were also less outgoing with the apistos around. The shrimp population outlived the pair of apistogrammas.

I wonder if a smaller mouthed apistogramma exists.

I've kept cherry shrimp with apistogramma cacatuoides before. My cherry shrimp were established for about 6 months. The tank was planted and had many hiding spaces. One the apistos would attack the shrimp whilst the other would ignore them. I found that my population decreased however they were breeding faster than being eaten. They were also less outgoing with the apistos around. The shrimp population outlived the pair of apistogrammas.

I wonder if a smaller mouthed apistogramma exists.
I only have the Male Apisto, the female jumped out.....I was going to get him another companion but he seems happy enough with the tetras.
On the cherry shrimp, it’s something I’ll give some thought to, as I would like to go down that route..

Oscar.

Hi Guys,
I’ve changed things slightly and added JBL riversand. Any thoughts/ advice most welcome as always :thumbup:
I think I will get some cherry shrimp, hopefully my Male apisto will behave himself as I’d like to have a shrimp colony...

Oscar.
1678D694-B0B1-40E8-955D-0BDADC404D8C.jpeg
F53835E8-6227-4B78-AC3E-59E8B9D4BE69.jpeg
58E38EBF-164A-438E-B793-1A8FD84A2196.jpeg

Last edited:
I really like this low tech tank. Have you thought about putting a frosted background on the tank? also the sand /gravel transition looks a bit unnatural at least to me.Maybe do all white sand ?

I always think the foreground sand/gravel if not planted should more or less match the rocks to look the most natural. Kinda like these pictures:
924DB755-AA7E-487F-ADFD-5B5959372663.jpeg
3FE07114-0DC6-497E-95B0-1BC317054A02.jpeg

I really like this low tech tank. Have you thought about putting a frosted background on the tank? also the sand /gravel transition looks a bit unnatural at least to me.Maybe do all white sand ?

I always think the foreground sand/gravel if not planted should more or less match the rocks to look the most natural. Kinda like these pictures: View attachment 131461View attachment 131462
I was thinking the same myself over the sand/gravel combo. Thinking of going sand for all foreground with some smaller rocks/plants. Elephant skin stone is a beautiful rock but “using a hammer” making smaller pieces can be difficult as inner rock has a completely different look “ not as easy on the eye”..

Oscar :thumbup:

Well much deliberation “well over night’ and finally decided on a full change to sand over foreground.. I still have to break up some smaller rocks, purchase some more mini annubias and buce wavy green to make foreground more natural..
CBD7DC1A-3F2A-4C1B-A756-4AA56F9A1E16.jpeg

Again thoughts greatly appreciated,

Oscar

HI Guys,
Does Hygrophila Siamensis 53 B, take well to being cut back to around 2/3 inches from base?!?
At the moment i only trim the top stems, growth is good with ample side shoots.

Thanks again,

Oscar.

Back