• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mini pump

john arnold

Hey

need a mini pump for this little terrarium build i made where it pumps water to top to drip down onto wall of plants mosses the one i got was 200 lph but still too strong i can turn it down but then its noisy i hav3 bought 2 so far , any ideas people

I haven't tried them personally but have previously looked at USB powered ones on Amazon which might fulfil your requirements.

You could use a Y or a T hose connector and a valve to reduce the Lp/h at destination.

I'll explain it with a small diagram, that's much easier to understand

cheaper and easier also than finding the correct pump.

valve flow regulation.jpg

Water will take the route of least resistance..:) Thus if valve is fully open there will go no water to the top and all through the valve back to the tank.
Now start closing the valve far enough till it reaches the flow you desire at the top. What you don't need at the top will simply flow back to the tank via the valve.

You could use a Y or a T hose connector and a valve to reduce the Lp/h at destination.

I'll explain it with a small diagram, that's much easier to understand

cheaper and easier also than finding the correct pump.

View attachment 128503
Water will take the route of least resistance..:) Thus if valve is fully open there will go no water to the top and all through the valve back to the tank.
Now start closing the valve far enough till it reaches the flow you desire at the top. What you don't need at the top will simply flow back to the tank via the valve.

Arrr yes! Simple and clever and it wont make the motor sound louder, thanks man that has helped lots

Arrr yes! Simple and clever and it wont make the motor sound louder, thanks man that has helped lots

Here is another one if you can't find a valve in the correct size or if it's difficult to fine-tune the valve.
Then get or create a Laboratory style hose clamp.
-764-Tubing-Clamps-with-easy-click-closure-300x300.jpg

Very easy to DIY from all kind of material, I've used acrylic and or even wood will do.
DSC_0167.jpg

Clamp the hose in it and reduce its diameter with pinching it. This works very well for fine-tuning flow because its listens to a fraction of a mm whit tightening the nuts.

Here is another one if you can't find a valve in the correct size or if it's difficult to fine-tune the valve.
Then get or create a Laboratory style hose clamp.
-764-Tubing-Clamps-with-easy-click-closure-300x300.jpg

Very easy to DIY from all kind of material, I've used acrylic and or even wood will do.
View attachment 128504

Clamp the hose in it and reduce its diameter with pinching it. This works very well for fine-tuning flow because its listens to a fraction of a mm whit tightening the nuts.

nice but restricting it makes the motor labour causing it to be noisey, i got the t junction and valve that is open and this worked a treat

big thanks

nice but restricting it makes the motor labour causing it to be noisey, i got the t junction and valve that is open and this worked a treat

big thanks

I meant using this instead of a valve behind the T. Not as an additional restriction in the main line. But if it works as is now.. Great!

Most valves in the hobby are ball type valves, pretty hard to fine-tune if you need to. Those lab tube clamps can be tuned with the pitch of the thread by ¼ mm. :)

Back