• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Patch on cherry barb

Fisher2007

I've noticed a white patch on one of my cherry barbs. The tank it is in has been running for 4 years, no new livestock added for a few months. The tank contains 4 cherry barbs, about 6 cardinals, 8 rummy nose, 2 albino cories, 2 small bristlenose and a handful of assassin snails. The cherries themselves have been in the tank for maybe a year. The fish itself seems happy and healthy and is still eating fine. Any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20191104_220643.jpg
    20191104_220643.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 531
If you’re already doing weekly water changes I’d increase them to three times a week at the moment and see if the fish improves. Nine times out of ten water changes will clear a lot of things up. Medications should be used as a last resort.

Is the fish still feeding? It doesn’t appear to be in bad condition apart from the patch.

cheers

conor

If you’re already doing weekly water changes I’d increase them to three times a week at the moment and see if the fish improves. Nine times out of ten water changes will clear a lot of things up. Medications should be used as a last resort.

Is the fish still feeding? It doesn’t appear to be in bad condition apart from the patch.

cheers

conor

Yeah, fish is feeding fine and appears healthy and happy. I do 50% water changes without fail each week

It looks like he's scraped against something, lost a few scales and maybe the skin beneath too.
If so, he should recover easily in a while, as long as the wound doesn't get infected. So keen an eye on him, and, as Connor says, plenty of water changes will help. If it does get infected, fungus is the most likely infection, which you can treat with readily available meds.

It looks like he's scraped against something, lost a few scales and maybe the skin beneath too.
If so, he should recover easily in a while, as long as the wound doesn't get infected. So keen an eye on him, and, as Connor says, plenty of water changes will help. If it does get infected, fungus is the most likely infection, which you can treat with readily available meds.

Hopefully you're right about the scrape. The males do chase each other a bit so maybe he caught one of the rocks in the process

Back