• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hardscaping- Rock Work

I'm not happy with it yet.. So I welcome suggestions.

I like the way they look impossible, It's also got to be a little bit darker than real life. Just wondering now what rock is available that's jet black, It would give a great contrast against the plants.
I was thinking about hiding a sheet of black HDPE /stainless underneath the sand and screwing the rocks to it . without linking them together they are never going to stand up..

I've deleted the tree and moved the main rocks back behind two corner rocks. (Please forgive my photoshop skills I'm learning as I go along)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about jungle sense and the look you have, they sound very different to me

I want more of a wild look, at the minute it does suggest a Iwagumi tank, I want to put in 50 different types of plants and mosses, for me, it creates lots more interest.
I got bored of my iwagumi tank almost as soon as i had finished it. it doesn't evolve in the same way and change.

- if only the tons and tons of slag laying on the welsh hillsides was free!

I have thought about this, the only thing that puts me off os to try and get the depth I need lots of details at the front.. and then less at the back to try and help with the sense of depth..
I'm just not sure you would get the detail.

My main input is I'm unsure you will create such a sense of depth with only 600mm as your picture shows.

This does worry me.. I was wondering how much a new tank would cost but don't think I have space in my new lounge ( moving house which is one of the reasons for a re-scape)

Tank Arch rock2.jpg

My problem with the two tanks above (my opinion only) is they struggle to get a feeling of depth.. Like something compared to this one by Grégoire Wolinski.

I want to bring the sides in with plants, (they're just not very easy to model in), possibly also some twisted roots wrapping around the stone spikes linking it all together,

0001.jpg

Coal.
It was quite popular in aquascapes years ago, easy to cut and shape too. And not as heavy as a lot of rocks.

Interesting.. I wouldn't think twice about adding activated carbon but i never considered coal. I'm just googling solid-fuel merchants and going to try and find someone I can get some big lumps from.
Worth having a play with..

There are broadly two type of coal used in the industry. High carbon coal for steel making, and high octane coal for power plants. The former has less toxic PAH compounds and metals and is better suited for aquarium use. Since we don’t burn coal in the aquarium, not much toxic compounds are bio available, but do watch out for coal dust.

Back