• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

(Help) Fluval FX5 with C02 reactor on a 350l tank

Keetchy

Hey peeps

Would appreciate some help and advice.

So I have a 350l tank with a Fluval FX5 running it. At the moment I have a C02 extinguisher going through a solenoid then into an in tank diffuser. But due to me needing to angle my filter outlets upwards to create more surface agitation, I am wasting a lot of C02 to atmosphere. So I think it's time for an inline reactor.

Because I dont want to reduce the flow too much by plumbing in the reactor straight after the filter, I like the idea of creating a bypass for the reactor like I have seen someone suggest on here.

Because the Fluval hosing is ribbed, am I going to have to change it for a solid hose like Eheim hosing? Or is there a way round plumbing in the bypass to the Fluval hosing?

Also can someone please let me know what parts and sizing I am going to need to plumb it all in?

Hi

I have an FX6 which uses the same tubing (I think!) and it was one of the issues I had with my tank is its large 25mm tubing has little choice for getting off the shelf outputs for so I had the do all the plumbing myself to fit in my CO2 reactors and heaters

upload_2017-12-16_17-50-27-png.png

I did start off with a custom spraybar which worked well in combination with an Ehiem 3000+ on an independent line and spraybar as well,, But I ended up getting Maxspect Gyres 330x2 and doing away with the independent line and the custom spray bar

I got all my Pipework form Aquarium Plumbing LTD, more details can be found in my Journal Olympus is Calling

Hope thats some help ;)

Hi

I have an FX6 which uses the same tubing (I think!) and it was one of the issues I had with my tank is its large 25mm tubing has little choice for getting off the shelf outputs for so I had the do all the plumbing myself to fit in my CO2 reactors and heaters

upload_2017-12-16_17-50-27-png.png

I did start off with a custom spraybar which worked well in combination with an Ehiem 3000+ on an independent line and spraybar as well,, But I ended up getting Maxspect Gyres 330x2 and doing away with the independent line and the custom spray bar

I got all my Pipework form Aquarium Plumbing LTD, more details can be found in my Journal Olympus is Calling

Hope thats some help ;)
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I will definitely check out your journal :thumbup:

So I have a 350l tank with a Fluval FX5 running it. At the moment I have a C02 extinguisher going through a solenoid then into an in tank diffuser. But due to me needing to angle my filter outlets upwards to create more surface agitation, I am wasting a lot of C02 to atmosphere. So I think it's time for an inline reactor.
Have you thought about all of the CO2 dissolved in the water pushed through the filter outlets that could potentially be lost if you change your filter outlets this way?
I'm sure you have your reason for wanting to create more surface agitation, how about looking at this instead or alongside this change?

Have you thought about all of the CO2 dissolved in the water pushed through the filter outlets that could potentially be lost if you change your filter outlets this way?
I'm sure you have your reason for wanting to create more surface agitation, how about looking at this instead or alongside this change?
Hey man. See now it was my mate that suggested I get a reactor. He said that because the C02 gets dissolved into the water inside the reactor, when it comes out into the tank out of the outlets, because its water it will still get pushed round the tank rather than to atmosphere because it's all dissolved into the water. Obviously any C02 bubbles that haven't dissolved into the water will get wasted to atmosphere. But if I get a good enough reactor, the bubbles should be next to nothing I'm hoping.

The reason for creating agitation is I have discus in the tank and the temp is set to 29°C so with no surface agitation and C02 in the water, the discus will be struggling with oxygen.

Back