• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Phillyrea Latifolia - Getting a small plant

AndyMcD

In Jake Gibson’s book Niwaki, he says that his favourite plant to cloud prune is Phillyrea Latifolia.

There are very few suppliers of this plant in the UK, they are almost entirely in the South East, the plants are large and delivery expensive.

I’m trying to build up a range of plants to try out cloud pruning on, in large pots, in my garden. Basically, bonsai on a larger scale.

Could anyone recommend a supplier in the north west or an online supplier of small pants?

Hi all,
he says that his favourite plant to cloud prune
We have a famous cloud pruned Yew hedge in Corsham, at Corsham Court.
they are almost entirely in the South East, the plants are large and delivery expensive.
I think they are a bit like Olives (Olea europea), hardier when they are bigger and older.

It is a tree you very rarely see. <"Burncoose"> say it is quite hardy, but they don't have it in stock. I've grown Osmanthus x burkwoodii from a cutting, and I think Phillyrea are possible without mist etc.

Have you got Osmanthus x burkwoodii or Ilex crenata?

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel,

Thanks for the response.

I’m having a go with the following:

- Osmanthus Burkwoodii
- Ilex Crenata
- Buxus Sempiverens (Box)
- Lonicera Nitada

- Pinus Mugo
- Pinus Parviflora Negishi
- Juniperus Chinensis Blue Alps
- Juniperus Chinensis Kaizuka Variegata
- Taxus Baccata

I’ve managed to air prune an Acer Katsura, which I plan to wire in February.

It sounds like Phillyrea Latifolia may be a bit tender, even if I do manage to get hold of a plant.

I appreciate it is going to take decades to get anywhere.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

I have set an alert with Burncoose and I’ll buy when next in stock.

Thanks again.

Have you considered plain old bay Laurus nobilis. Once established it grows quite well and to my untrained eye looks similar to phillyrea latifolia. My next door neighbour has a large standard pruned to a four foot wide lollypop. It's pretty cheap and hardy if you don't mind starting small, plus it's useful in the kitchen.

There is also a house near me with cloud pruned acer palmatum which were quite impressive plus they also had some pittosporums which again stood out.

I have lucked out! I have just bought a 2m Phillyrea Angustifolia from my local Notcutts garden centre, half price with an end of winter voucher.

It has been imported from Italy as an alternative to Olive, due to Xylella Fastidiosa (difficult to say not in the style of Hermione Granger).

It has been cut low down, to make it a multi stem shrub, so I’ll need to cut back hard and make more standard.

In 20 years, I may have a half decent cloud pruned plant!

Back