• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HC Cuba Seeds DSM

Hi all,
How do i combat this mate? I've only sprayed once a day if that there has been no pools of water. If you think it's fungal (Pythium) that would mean it's too wet.... Oh and the roots I can see look fine white
I'm not sure, most fungicides aren't things you would want in the tank after you've flooded it. It isn't necessarily too wet, when you have a lot of seedlings very close together they are always likely to "damp off".

I'd be tempted to remove the dark seedlings and a "fire break" around them, but it may not help.
Hope I’m wrong but I reckon your seeds aren’t HC, so don’t be surprised if you are replanting in a month or 2 time
They are supposed to be Glossostigma Elatinoides Hemianthus Callitrichoides (small) Not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish there
We've had a <"few posts"> where people have bought seeds of carpet plants and they've turned out not to be the species they were meant to be.

cheers Darrel

I'd be tempted to remove the dark seedlings and a "fire break" around them, but it may not help
that was my thought as well

It may also be beneficial just to go through the entire carpet “thinning” out some of the seedlings ... looking at the photos it appears there are smaller seedlings trying to push through the older/bigger shoots

Last year I spoke with someone that used these seeds (same source and seed “name”) with some success
- after several failed attempts (the dry start always looked amazing, failure came after flooding), the most successful trial had been ongoing for ~2 months post flooding - every 10-14 days the carpet was severely trimmed in order to maintain the HC carpet appearance
Attempts to allow plant growth beyond this initial leaf structure, ended in plant melt, also cutting back older shoots didn’t go well
Plant was decidedly neither HC nor Glossostigma elatinoides

We've had a <"few posts"> where people have bought seeds of carpet plants and they've turned out not to be the species they were meant to be.
I have to confess that has been my suspicion as well. But like I said in the beginning I hope I'm wrong.
Either way all is not lost Dane you've found UKAPS and help is at hand should you need it.
I'd still go ahead and flood as soon as you have the CO2 ready, we may all be pleasantly surprised :)

Hi all,I'm not sure, most fungicides aren't things you would want in the tank after you've flooded it. It isn't necessarily too wet, when you have a lot of seedlings very close together they are always likely to "damp off".

I'd be tempted to remove the dark seedlings and a "fire break" around them, but it may not help. We've had a <"few posts"> where people have bought seeds of carpet plants and they've turned out not to be the species they were meant to be.

cheers Darrel
I'll just cut the green patches out before I flood and add C02 hopefully they will grow back.
I looked at that thread and the plants look nothing like carpeting seeds. At least mine look like Glosso. What can you really expect for $7 seeds from China. If they grow they grow if they die they die

I have to confess that has been my suspicion as well. But like I said in the beginning I hope I'm wrong.
Either way all is not lost Dane you've found UKAPS and help is at hand should you need it.
I'd still go ahead and flood as soon as you have the CO2 ready, we may all be pleasantly surprised :)
Thanks Tim. UKAPS has been great would have been pulling out the little hair I had left without the help I've gotten. Who'd have thought growing some plants would be so complicated/scientific. I've also found a local plant supplier that can get nice red and red/green combined plants I've never seen before so I won't stop just at carpeting plants I'll deck the tank out :rolleyes:.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions I may not like people saying that they are fake but it is what it is I'll suck it up if they aren't and start again. Just appreciate the help :)
Yeah I'm Keen to flood and add C02 to see how they go. As Soon as my FE arrives I'll flood it

that was my thought as well

It may also be beneficial just to go through the entire carpet “thinning” out some of the seedlings ... looking at the photos it appears there are smaller seedlings trying to push through the older/bigger shoots

Last year I spoke with someone that used these seeds (same source and seed “name”) with some success
- after several failed attempts (the dry start always looked amazing, failure came after flooding), the most successful trial had been ongoing for ~2 months post flooding - every 10-14 days the carpet was severely trimmed in order to maintain the HC carpet appearance
Attempts to allow plant growth beyond this initial leaf structure, ended in plant melt, also cutting back older shoots didn’t go well
Plant was decidedly neither HC nor Glossostigma elatinoides
Yeah that's fair enough. You are right about the smaller seeds trying to push through I will admit being a noob and not knowing they would spread I dumped both seed packets in the tank trying to achieve that thick carpet look lol silly me. I'll try and trim it all up and see how it goes

Beware some sell non-aquatic plants as aquarium plants...........:mad:
I asked him if he works at a lfs. This was his reply.
Nah I don't mate. But I work in aquaculture both in Tasmania and the mainland. I have contacts overseas in Singapore. I travel a fair bit so been in the industry for a while both aquaculture and aquarium sides.

I asked him if he works at a lfs. This was his reply.
Nah I don't mate. But I work in aquaculture both in Tasmania and the mainland. I have contacts overseas in Singapore. I travel a fair bit so been in the industry for a while both aquaculture and aquarium sides.
This is my list
X2 red Borneo sword
X2 silver waffle
X1 pogostemon stellata
X3 hairgrass
X1 rotala wallichii

Hi all,
silver waffle
That one probably isn't an aquatic, "Purple Waffle" is Hemigraphis colorata (dark green broad leaves with purple undersides) and "Aluminum Plant" Pilea cadierei (dark green leaves with silver markings on the foliage). It is likely to be one or the other.
red Borneo sword
I had to <"look this one up">, but it looks to be a <"Caladium"> sp., again definitely not an aquatic plant .
X1 pogostemon stellata
X3 hairgrass
X1 rotala wallichii
They should be OK. I'd check that the Hairgrass really is a Eleocharis spp. and not Ophiopogon.

cheers Darrel

They are supposed to be Glossostigma Elatinoides Hemianthus Callitrichoides (small)
Not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish there

Not having a go.

Just want to make you aware that the carpet may look lovely now but may not live long underwater.

I think you already know this but others just looking may not be aware.

It is very cheap to propagate and sell carpeting plants as they spread by runners. I assume a bloody nightmare to harvest seeds from either of the plants you mention.

eBay sellers are having a a bit of laugh at us selling cheap terrestrial seeds as expensive aquatic plants.

Hi all, That one probably isn't an aquatic, "Purple Waffle" is Hemigraphis colorata (dark green broad leaves with purple undersides) and "Aluminum Plant" Pilea cadierei (dark green leaves with silver markings on the foliage). It is likely to be one or the other. I had to <"look this one up">, but it looks to be a <"Caladium"> sp., again definitely not an aquatic plant . They should be OK. I'd check that the Hairgrass really is a Eleocharis spp. and not Ophiopogon.

cheers Darrel
Hey Darrel. Thanks for that info :)
I googled them too and you are right they are definitely a Terrarium Plant. I'll stay away from those and let my guy know what's going on:eek: I'll ask for the technical name of the hairgrass too
I checked some other the others in the list too and they were Terrarium also. Aluminum (like you said) Christmas stars not sure if I'll buy from there now

Last edited:
Hello, I'll upload pics later. An update I trimmed the carpet and it seems like a lot of the underneath growth is going that dark mushy green colour. I assume I've put too many seeds in. The cobweb looking stuff is spreading. Have I failed? Do I need to start again and pull it all out? Should get my C02 today is it worth setting up. Sorry about all the questions

I’d just start again
Not much point flooding when there’s rot/melt beneath

Not sure if you have more seeds?

If not, you could try separating out some of the upper fresh green plants, remove (& bin) the dark green stuff, loosen the substrate (rake with a fork) and replant the salvaged plants - if difficult to plant, you could just try sprinkling the small piece over the substrate, then very lightly sprinkle with fine soil, mist and see how it goes
(this technique is from Jurijs mit JS LDSM (Lazy Dry Start Method) - I think you’ll still find videos on his FB page)

If all this goes sideways, just repeat with the plant material from a 1-2-Grow HC container or pot :)

I’d just start again
Not much point flooding when there’s rot/melt beneath

Not sure if you have more seeds?

If not, you could try separating out some of the upper fresh green plants, remove (& bin) the dark green stuff, loosen the substrate (rake with a fork) and replant the salvaged plants - if difficult to plant, you could just try sprinkling the small piece over the substrate, then very lightly sprinkle with fine soil, mist and see how it goes
(this technique is from Jurijs mit JS LDSM (Lazy Dry Start Method) - I think you’ll still find videos on his FB page)

If all this goes sideways, just repeat with the plant material from a 1-2-Grow HC container or pot :)
Unfortunately I put both packets of seeds I had in there. I used up all my Ammazonia too. When I try to pull the plants out it takes a good chunk of the soil with it too as the roots are imbedded tightly.
Also I've never seen HC sold down here that's why I went with the seeds.
Who'd have known growing some plants would be such a pain in the ass lol. :(:sorry:

May be worth contacting Tropica for your closest stockist of 1-2 Grow pots.

They are very good for carpeting plants (and others).

May be worth contacting Tropica for your closest stockist of 1-2 Grow pots.

They are very good for carpeting plants (and others).
I'll see what's about. I know a couple of fish/plant importers. Not sure if I can be bothered starting over again

Back