• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Driftwood Roots

anfield

Seedling
Been working on this hardscape for nearly two months now. Tank is ADA 3ft wide by 18 inches deep and 18 inches tall. Substrate is sand only to be supplemented with root tabs. I want to emphasize the hardscape and not overwhelm it with plants. At least initially will have low level paintball CO2 but dont know if I will keep that going long term. The left corner will be filled with Mr Aqua substrate and have tall hairgrass and montecarlo trailing down the rocks. The rest of the plants I'm leaning towards are Japanese pennywort, dwarf anubias, microsword, mini-bolbitis and some buces under the driftwood. I simply cannot manage moss, it just accumulates dirt but then again I've never tried CO2 in a larger tank

I realize there are different types of wood here but then again thats what you would find at the beach right :).

20191118_002105.jpg
20191118_002126.jpg

Looking for feedback on the layout, plant selection and also eventual stocking. Thanks!

Hi, your hardscape has a very open, sculptural, minimalist feel. Id find it hard to do what im about to suggest, but how amout keeping planting minimal? Maybe eleocharis vivipara at the back corners, a bit of monte carlo here and there and maybe some microsorum trident on the wood?

And how about a school of Indian Glassfish to keep it minimalistic?
K

Hi, your hardscape has a very open, sculptural, minimalist feel. Id find it hard to do what im about to suggest, but how amout keeping planting minimal? Maybe eleocharis vivipara at the back corners, a bit of monte carlo here and there and maybe some microsorum trident on the wood?

And how about a school of Indian Glassfish to keep it minimalistic?
K

You've hit the nail pool on the head. I think this needs lighter planting but have only ever done heavily planted tanks so will need to restrain myself ! Thinking of smaller fish for scale but with some color.

Hi Anfield, I love that look you've created. Well worth the time it's taken you to get there. Can I ask what the rock is please?

Its lava rock. I've had to use a hammer and chisel to get the smaller pieces. The wood is glued together where needed.

I really love it, I'm a fan of lightly planted aquariums and the route I'm planning to take with my next scape.
You've the option of planting only on the rocks and wood if you like plants that grow there and think you could achieve the look you're after? I think you could reduce the amount of sand, again only if you like that look. Fertilisers could all be liquid ones added; maybe the EI method would work (Does anyone know what happened to theplantedtank EI and all in one pages? - I found them very useful)

I'd guess that wood will need quite some soaking to make it sink and if it is the kind of wood you find at the beach just make sure it's well rinsed through. ;)

Thanks for the help, really appreciated.

Most of the Lava rock I've found in the UK seems to be a dull grey colour, not as black as the rock in your setting. I'll keep searching though.

Back