• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PPM levels

Hi all,
I have been wondering for some time if there is a level of ppm that shouldn't be reached or that is too high.
There isn't really a top level. You just need to find a <"range of values"> at which plant and fish health is acceptable.

If the ppm level keeps rising I'd just change a bit more water.

cheers Darrel

Hi @Hanuman

At the risk of making a fool of myself, to what ppm level are you referring? Clearly, others have understood your question but I had to ask - if only as a sanity check!

JPC

Hi @Hanuman

OK, I'm with you now. It would be interesting to know your tank water KH and GH. Also, do you keep fish in this tank and, if so, what do you keep?

JPC

That depends on the test kit :lol:
Oase strips give me the following:
KH: between 6 & 10 / GH: between 4 & 7

Tetra KH test drops:
KH: between 4 & 5 - Haven't tested GH with drops as I don't have a test kit.

Yes I do keep fish. You can < see the list here >

Last edited:
After doing my weekly maintenance and WC I noticed the TDS in the tank was at ~280ppm. I was surprised as this is the TDS I usually get prior doing a WC. So I tested my tap water and found out it was at ~350ppm. I usually do a 80%tap - 20% RO.

Usually my tap water is ~230ppm so clearly it has increase by ~120ppm. Should I do an additional water change with RO to bring the TDS to its usual level after a WC or just let it be?

Back