• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Utricularia Graminifolia Tepui

Wow, Utricularia is actually a native plant in the UK. Never managed to spot any as yet though!

Hi all,
Utricularia is actually a native plant in the UK. Never managed to spot any as yet though!
We have at least three different native species, but none of them are <"very common">, and they are all pretty inconspicuous unless they are flowering (and often they don't flower). Utricularia minor is probably the most "flowery one", and reasonably common in Scottish peat bogs etc.

In the S. of Britain, unless you are on a peat bog, U. "vulgaris" is most likely, and can grow in alkaline water (but this has to be very low nutrient).

Utricularia gibba is easy to grow <"and flower">, but a lot of people don't like it, because it is a bit of a weed.

cheers Darrel

Ah thanks, Darrel. It always intrigued me. Use to keep sundews pitchers and Neps. Wonderful hobby if you can afford a greenhouse. Hard work on a window sill!

Hi all, OK if your house isn't too warm, but really difficult if you efficient central heating.

The Mexican <"Pinguicula moranensis"> hybrids are pretty hardy. I also keep Utricularia gibba in an old goldfish bowl on the window-sill, just filled with rain-water.

cheers Darrel
I managed suprisingly well with sundews. Only one I didn't get on with was S.Aliciae. I suspect the lack of sun was a factor. It was the least interesting of all sundews anyway :p

Do you feed yours with waterfleas or similar?

Hi all,
I suspect the lack of sun was a factor.
I think that in the winter they all need as much sun as possible, but fairly cool.
Do you feed yours with waterfleas or similar?
No, they seem to get by without any feeding. <"Utricularia gibba"> has really small bladders, so it maybe trapping very small food items (Rotifers?).

I had another Utricularia in the tank, an Utricularia "stellaris"/"vulgaris" like one, <"but it just boomed and bust">.

cheers Darrel

Back