• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Copper treated plants

Martin steele

Hi all having already had one didaster with treated plants I thought I would run this past you.I have a large tank downstairs that is needing some more plants I have located these from a dealer in Stockport.

When I asked if these plants had been treated att all he told me with copper.

Q how long must I keep these plants until they are safe for inverts or is there any way to get rid of the copper.

Regards martinsteele1959@gmail.com

It's mainly used as a fungicide in different forms in the food industry only on washable fruits.

Copper Hydroxide, C. Oxychloride, C. Oxide, C. Sulfate, C octanoate do excist.

Except for the * chloride, it all has poor solubility in (cold) water. After it is sprayed on the plants and then the only thing there is to do is rinse them properly under the tap without damaging to much. And or keep them in a bucket for a number of days and do a daily water change.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/info/what-is-copper-fungicide.htm
As a fungicide, it degrades in 7 to 10 days and it will no longer be active on the fungus. But that period doesn't say anything how active it stays for aquatic life after that.

I think to its best to look for another supplier that doesn't use copper pesticides on aquarium plants. Maybe a good thing to ask him what he's thinking about it? He knows what exactly he's spraying around.

Hi all,
It's mainly used as a fungicide in different forms in the food industry only on washable fruits
When I asked if these plants had been treated att all he told me with copper.
I think it might be <"copper sulphate"> (CuSO4.5H2O), used as a molluscicide.
But that period doesn't say anything how active it stays for aquatic life after that.
It shouldn't be absorbed by the plant, so you should be able to wash it off, but you would need to be very thorough.

cheers Darrel

Thanks again Darryl,if I were to put them in a bucket with tetras aquasafe in the water would it help.And he did say it was for molluscs.

Thanks once again all.

After you wash, soak etc, you can test if they are safe by putting them in a bucket of water with some daphnia in it.

Having witnessed 1000’s of dead fish after imported plants were placed in shop tanks (nothing notable in this plant shipment from dozens of previous, all shipments from the same apparent source), I’d suggest asking for more details on the sourcing of these plants, and why it was necessary to treat with copper
(eg, standard protocol for that shop for all plants? for some plants? only after observing multiple snails? etc)

I suspect that rinsing thoroughly by hand is much more efficient than just soaking plants in a bin - adding water movement, and especially a filter with copper removal resin would improve bin effect

Definitely do not place any rock wool from these plants in your tank (if you have shrimp etc)

All the Elodea/plants what were purchased from singapore was flushed through all day thru the night prior to sale. Then the tank was drained and refilled, just to be sure. As we had alot of schools that would buy elodea as it was a cheap plant for the school tanks.

Modified Activated Carbon also seems to remove metals from water.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1383586601001551

Now the question remains, whats modified Activated Carbon and where to get it? Modified activated carbon seems not to be a regular tradename.

The only one available i know of that seems to do better than regular activated carbon is Lignite activated carbon.
Enhanced by steam treatment.
https://www.jurassiccarbon.com/blogs/news/7842217-lignite-coal-based-activated-carbon

It seems to be commonly used in Reef tanks. But personally wouldn't know where to get it.

Hi zozo,
I have been thinking about copper removal and it occurred to me that Britta water filter cartridges might be a cost effective option.In a nutshell either pull the guts out of a filter and put it in an air operated corner filter or find a way of circulating water over and through a Britta cartridge.

I have just been on there website and they do remove copper and other heavy metals as well as other stuff.

Let me know what you think guys.

Regards martinsteele1959@gmail.com

Wait they were from Singapore?Gosh time to ask my plant suppliers about copper treated plants I have a bit of mysterious deaths with shrimp.Yea the copper would prob be to get rid of the snails.But my plants still come with pest snails ugh.Just make sure no inverts.Fish should be fine. ;)

Hi all I recirece my plants yesterday I have bunched them up and put them in a 65 litre Rubbermmade box.
Upped the pH to 8.5 it didn't take much pottasium hydroxide to do this less than a 1/4 teaspoon. And I have added an air operated box filter filled by with activated carbon.Q how long do I need to keep them in there/2 is it necessary to keep the plants warm they are outdoors.

Regards Martin steele

we strongly recommend that you soak your newly acquired plants in a bowl or bucket of water at room temperature for around eight hours or so, changing the water fully at least four times. Once done, then give them a very thorough rinse under tepid, not lukewarm water, under a tap to remove all traces of pesticide.
Gotten from:http://injaf.org/articles-guides/beginners-guides/beginners-guide-to-aquarium-plants/
Can someone verify this?

And I checked Singapore only requires permit no treatment for aquatic plants(plants without media) so my shrimps should be ok.

Back