• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Shrimp Safe Inflow

Onoma1

I have been searching for a shrimp safe inflow for a while. I don't want to go for a foam, however, the metal filters that I have used rapidly become clogged.

I noticed that Filipe Oliveira had a video from a Spanish shop (2.17) with quite coarse metal inflows and wondered if anyone knows where I could buy one from?

That looks like home made. Perhaps look at aliexpress.

This said in a healthy tank your inflow shouldn’t get clogged up as you should normally have little dead leaves or whatnot.

This is what I use. I never clean it. Shrimps and snails clean it for me, thus it’s never clogged:
bc69d60f6b3f4a30058c5dff11d3eef4.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like home made. Perhaps look at aliexpress.

This said in a healthy tank your inflow shouldn’t get clogged up as you should normally have little dead leaves or whatnot.

I tried a fine one from Aliexpress. It works well most of the time just gets a bit clogged after a water change (not normally a big issue) and I had a panicky moment when I returned after a few days away to see it partially clogged with some MC.

~1mm. Indeed, small shrimplets will go through. They are pretty much compareable to the Borneo Wild Outflows

I've got two guards similar to hanumans and I simply swapedp them when I did a water change to begin with. It means they can have a deep clean if they need it but in reality I haven't needed to swap them for 6 months.

What I found was that if the guard fits snug around the inlet vents on the pipe then the waste gets stuck to it and starts to block it quite quickly but if the guard is larger than the pipe, the water can continue to flow around any waste stuck on the grill and so doesn't restrict the flow.

Hope that makes sense but I've attached a pic of what I mean which was taken from my tank a moment ago. You should be able to see the glass pipe in the middle

I've also added the link to them below. I found the white rubber washer at the top tight so I just put a cut in it so it's no longer a complete circle and it makes it easier to slip on and off but there it still enough friction to hold it in place

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gwolf-Aqua...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Attachments

• 20191129_123207.jpg
    20191129_123207.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 139
Just to add, I also managed to mod one of these with my dremel so it now fits on my EA aquascaper surface skimmer inlet too, as the surface skimmer pipe isn't the standard 16/22 size (guess it's more like 25mm outer diameter)

Last edited:
Are shrimp guards necessary for all shrimp species ? I'm going to add Armano shrimp to my set up when its done , the filter is an Eheim Pro 3, would filter guards be necessary for Armano shrimp ?

Are shrimp guards necessary for all shrimp species ? I'm going to add Armano shrimp to my set up when its done , the filter is an Eheim Pro 3, would filter guards be necessary for Armano shrimp ?

I think unless the amano's were tiny you'd be fine. Amano's seem more robust and have longer legs. Before installing shrimp guards I had problem with cherries getting stuck but never saw any issues with amano's. The smallest amano's I have/had were probably about 20mm long

Black foam perhaps?;)

That’s what I’ve used. It could still look better but what can you do? I liked the stainless steel pipes I bought but the my Cherries decided to have sex and now I’ve got babies all over the place! :lol:

The shrimps do seem to be keeping the foam clean though ...

These work well, I had a few mesh ones that dropped to bits before buying these.. Took a while to arrive though as i don't think anyone in the UK stocks them .

Screenshot_20190410-210319_AliExpress.jpg

Any one know where I can get a shrimp safe inlet that fits over 22mm pipe, as used in JBL e1501 filter ?

Most of the ones on Ebay etc are all for 16mm inlet pipes.:(

Back