• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Carpet plants in non co2 aquarium?

Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Helanthium tenellum var. parvullum - broadleaf
Saggitaria subulata

Are in my experience the easiest, but you need lots of patience - months and or start with a lot of plants.
Another critical issue for growth rate and success is the light intensity and this is a tricky factor in a non co² aquarium. Start with a strong lighting and a dimmer and find the max intensity the tank can coop with. This depends on several other factors such as type and amount of mid and background planting.

For example this is Lilaeopsis brasiliensis in a non co² outdoor aquarium that gets all the sun it can get during the day. And in years it yet never suffered from any algae issues.
dsc_0254-jpg.jpg

Thus proof in the pudding, it's definitively possible to go rather high light above non co². :)

Marcel, those Oryzias look really stunning in there!
Do you keep them outside in the winter too? I've currently a few tanks outside but i'm torn between bringing them inside (too warm) or keep them and risk it.

No, till now i always took it indoors during each winter. Its a build from 2017
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/mission-bathtub-2017.49096/

And never had ricefish in it.. But home bred baby gold fish.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/mission-bathtub-2019.56746/

Only this year i'm not. :) Most plants in it could survive a mild winter and a short frost period. Even Lilaeopsis is quite a winter hardy plant and survives mild frost periods. But i need to to drain it, it likely will crack if it freezes solid in the winter. I not willing to take that risk.

I'm also not sure if i reinstall this tank again next year.. I have different plans, but not sure what i'm going to do. Still have the entire winter to think about that. :)

Yep thanks guessed patience is a def must with plant growth rates being slower.Anyone tried DHG or MC or marsilea?

The "DwarfHairGrass" (Eleocharis 'mini') can actually grow without added CO2 - but will not grow the dense carpet it is supposed to.
'MonteCarlo' will grow acceptably without added CO2 - but slower and les dense.
Marsilea hirsuta grow quite happily without added CO2 - but will likely grow taller. This is probaply more dependent on light intensity, though.
- and as an "extra" ......... you can grow a very nice carpet in non-CO2-low-light-tank, sticking small tufts of Taxiphyllum 'spiky'into the substrate with a few cm. between them (or tied to something flat and sinking ) . It helps to manually press down the new growth of the spiky moss with your flat hand, now and then, if light is very low.

The "DwarfHairGrass" (Eleocharis 'mini') can actually grow without added CO2 - but will not grow the dense carpet it is supposed to.
'MonteCarlo' will grow acceptably without added CO2 - but slower and les dense.
Marsilea hirsuta grow quite happily without added CO2 - but will likely grow taller. This is probaply more dependent on light intensity, though.
- and as an "extra" ......... you can grow a very nice carpet in non-CO2-low-light-tank, sticking small tufts of Taxiphyllum 'spiky'into the substrate with a few cm. between them (or tied to something flat and sinking ) . It helps to manually press down the new growth of the spiky moss with your flat hand, now and then, if light is very low.

Thanks for finalising my shopping list haha.I lost about 40-50% of monte carlo that i bought one week and two days ago grr.I have pretty high lighting but my mum limits my lighting because she says its bad for the electricity bill.

Monte carlo is great low tech, if you see my shrimp tank a full carpet took about 6 -8 weeks.
By far the easiest and quickest low tech carpet ive tried.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Does your monte carlo melt when switching from emersed to submersed?My MC looks rather sad haha.

Does your monte carlo melt when switching from emersed to submersed?My MC looks rather sad haha.
It was invitro so it adapts better than emersed. Emersed can melt a bit but good flow should limit any damage.

It was invitro so it adapts better than emersed. Emersed can melt a bit but good flow should limit any damage.

Melt a bit??I lost like 60-70% so far ugh.Cleaned my sponge filter too.No lazing i guess.Im really beginning to hate emersed plants.My other plants didnt melt at least only a little bit.

Melt a bit??I lost like 60-70% so far ugh.Cleaned my sponge filter too.No lazing i guess.Im really beginning to hate emersed plants.My other plants didnt melt at least only a little bit.
If you only run a sponge filter this will be part of the problem as they offer very little flow...

If you only run a sponge filter this will be part of the problem as they offer very little flow...

Agreed my original plan was a low cost tank.Seems like i needa upgrade to HOB.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/33-plants/723593-melting-monte-carlo.html
Appears that emersed will melt completely then grow new leaves alright I will wait.Gonna upgrade to a cheap HOB to get more planting space that sponge filter is fat.

Last edited:
Back