• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What do you keep in your 300 litre tanks???

Keetchy

Hey peeps

So what do you guys keep in your 300 litre tanks? At the moment I have discus but am seriously thinking about changing that before I plant my tank out again. As much as I love the fish, and think they're a great addition to the tank, I just cant keep up with the upkeep of them. They're too sensitive. So was wondering what else could fill a 300 litre tank quite well.

It depends really on what you think looks better. For me a small tetra on mass with a few slighter larger fish looks nicer than large fish throughout. You could go for a larger specimen fish group like angels and have a decent group of larger tetra, it's really an open question without knowing what kind of look you want to have. Ie blackwater would be great for angels, more rocks makes cichlids more appealing, complete jungle is good for other species.

It depends really on what you think looks better. For me a small tetra on mass with a few slighter larger fish looks nicer than large fish throughout. You could go for a larger specimen fish group like angels and have a decent group of larger tetra, it's really an open question without knowing what kind of look you want to have. Ie blackwater would be great for angels, more rocks makes cichlids more appealing, complete jungle is good for other species.
Yeah I see what you mean bud. I do like the idea of loads of small fish swimming around, making the tank look busy. I've kept silver sharks before which I loved but then with them I'm limited to what small fish I can have.
And the look I'll be going for is a centre island layout with tall stems behind and to the side

I have no experience with them, but I was toying with the idea of a school of the dwarf varieties.
Seems to be ok for this chap - https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/d2s-planted-tank-adventurama.58239/page-6
I don't think they're cichlids, and I've never kept discus, but I'm sure some of the experts will let you know ;)
Thanks bud. That's a stunning tank in that link. Wow. And I think that might have sold the idea of rainbow fish to me. Just wanna see how many different types there are, I'd like to have a few different types of rainbows if possible.

I really like discus and have kept them for the past couple of years now but have just had enough,
Oh i did do my decade with discus too. But i like so may fish,more often some rarer species of smaller fish. I loved and had altums, multiple species of dwarf cichlids, Lebasinidae ( Nannostomus, Phyrrhulina), dwarf Crenicichla's, rare characins. There are so many beautifull fish. I am lucky that i have a LFS wich only does wildcaughts, i look at it's inventory weekly.

Maybe seen as quite a bread and butter fish but what about 12 ish gold barbs the colouration really comes out in a planted tank. Quite good temperament IME and complement deep bodied tetra oh and real comedians too

Ah im glad you sent us these bud, I think this has put me off wanting rainbow fish. The tank is stunning but I'm not too keen on the rainbows he has in there. Not as colourful as I thought they were and they're not very active fish. I want a load of swimmy fish about the tank :p

What about Congo Tetras?
Funny enough my mate suggested these. Googled them and they're nice colourful fish. I think I'll definitely have a few of these in the tank.
I reckon what I'll do is get maybe 5 or 6 of different species of fish. Maybe 5 or 6 different species. Then get a big shoal of rummeynoses and cardinals

I have in my 'jungle' tank. Cardinal tetras cause they contrast good to nearly anything. Honey gouramis because the horizontal coloring fits nice with the tetras. Corydora sterbai as bottom dwellers cause I think they are the most beautiful of all Cory's :) a couple of apisto beanchi inka. And the usual clean up crew..

Back