• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I think I figured out the imbalance in my tank

Niall

I have had all sorts of algae for the past 6 weeks, I have tried different light and co2 levels and intensity, water changes, co2 distribution and shielding my tank.
I picked up my ei fert bottles today and noticed they are both clear, micro should be brown! So I have been dosing 3 times a week macro and 3 times a week what I thought was micro when it was really potassium phosphate. So my tank has seen no chelated trace elements in all that time!
I assume this will cause all sorts of issues including algae issues, would I be correct in saying that?

I have had all sorts of algae for the past 6 weeks, I have tried different light and co2 levels and intensity, water changes, co2 distribution and shielding my tank.
I picked up my ei fert bottles today and noticed they are both clear, micro should be brown! So I have been dosing 3 times a week macro and 3 times a week what I thought was micro when it was really potassium phosphate. So my tank has seen no chelated trace elements in all that time!
I assume this will cause all sorts of issues including algae issues, would I be correct in saying that?

Sufficient amounts of micro nutrients will lead to faster and more healthy growth whereas severe deficiencies will show itself in plant leaves.So in this case, my best guess is that theres excess macro nutrients where the uptake is limited by micro nutrients.The reason algae can grow better is because it has a much simpler structure and perhaps requires much less of these micro nutrients, or is more efficient at absorbing it.

Back