• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green thread algae

Deano3

Hi everyone, had tank running for around a month now and just added 2 ottos, and did a big clean of prefiler etc yesterday bit seem to be gettkng a lot of spiderweb type algae must be thread algae.

Any recomendations of how to rid it apart from maintenence and seems to grow fast. I will also be adding shrimp next week maybe 6 cherry shrimp or so.

Thanks dean
63cd76950832f3e21a8bf99b06d96c98.jpg
dfdcc576f31d878dcce111e5f6c609bf.jpg
ae54f8568b302c8c7a89a5a99bfbd8fc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

^^^ good link to get started.

Don’t know how much you know already know @Deano3 ?

But if it’s a persistent problem post taking remedial action then Amano shrimp are very handy. They eat hair/thread algae into extinction provided you’re not overfeeding your tank. Tropica’s recommendation of one per five litres of water is pretty robust but use your better judgement.

However, Amano’s aren’t to everyone’s taste and aren’t particularly cheap. They don’t like new setups and at one month old your scape fits in this bracket. The diatoms on your rocks also suggests the tank is still in a maturing period.

Siphoning out hair/thread algae with an airline tube is superior to the toothbrush method from experience.

PS a lot of surface agitation in the third picture. Could just be because of the jet and a picture doesn’t tell the whole story. Maybe a little too much?

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

^^^ good link to get started.

Don’t know how much you know already know @Deano3 ?

But if it’s a persistent problem post taking remedial action then Amano shrimp are very handy. They eat hair/thread algae into extinction provided you’re not overfeeding your tank. Tropica’s recommendation of one per five litres of water is pretty robust but use your better judgement.

However, Amano’s aren’t to everyone’s taste and aren’t particularly cheap. They don’t like new setups and at one month old your scape fits in this bracket. The diatoms on your rocks also suggests the tank is still in a maturing period.

Siphoning out hair/thread algae with an airline tube is superior to the toothbrush method from experience.

PS a lot of surface agitation in the third picture. Could just be because of the jet and a picture doesn’t tell the whole story. Maybe a little too much?
Thanks for all that everyone, i am pretty new and this is my first success so to speak so far, going really well. I added the lily pipe as its nano and fits the tank better plus i now have movement on the rear right and wasnt getting enough co2 there before.

Does to much movement cause problems ?

You can see the algae in the pics above with bubbles on and have some in the hair grass, very fine, will have a read through the link tomorro.

Are cherry shimp not as effective as i think they are smaller and nicer to look at and dont get as large ?

Thanks dean

I added the lily pipe as its nano and fits the tank better

Yup, use them too. No problem as long as your Co2 is fine as is. Plant growth looks great so would say so.

Cherry shrimp mostly graze on biofilm, Amano’s will eat hair/thread algae amongst other things. At this stage a bit of airline tube tied to a bbq stick to make it rigid should make short work of your thread algae.

Yup, use them too. No problem as long as your Co2 is fine as is. Plant growth looks great so would say so.

Cherry shrimp mostly graze on biofilm, Amano’s will eat hair/thread algae amongst other things. At this stage a bit of airline tube tied to a bbq stick to make it rigid should make short work of your thread algae.
I will try that mate just wondering what the cause could be. And might get amano shrimp.

Thanks dean

Back