• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does anyone keep Cryptocoryne Affinis?

Sarpijk

Hi all,

I would like to hear from anyone that has kept said species. The only company offering it is Dennerle but from what I've read it is not the "old" variety that was kept 50 years ago but probably a Wendii cultivar.

Hi, I have C.Affinis from pre1980, it was originally sold as Haerteliana (a wholesaler),
I will try to get a photo if I can work out how to get it to download.
Cheers
John

Hi Alto, thanks for the link I had forgotten about that site. The Affinis I have is the Haerteliana strain and I have kept it in my normal tapwater which is very soft, around 70microseimens. Its low KH and dGH and for years had very little fertilisers. An odd clay ball in a mix of pea gravel and horticultural grit. I have only had it flower 3 times when grown emerse.
Today I have some in the shady end of my 120cm hightech where it does get EI ferts and CO2 but looks just the same as it always has.

I will look at adding some limestone to the substrates in one or two of my low tech tanks but most are used for fish that like soft water.
Cheers
John

I have some hiding in one of my tanks somewhere and looks similar to jolt100's :)
Can't remember where I got it from now....could even be the Dennerle on but honestly can't remember :oops:

I had some “C affinis” years ago (through plant club), and yes, it was very prone to melt - I’d have this gorgeous dense crypt carpet, do a perfectly ordinary water change, 3 days later, complete leaf melt - on this cultivar the leaves were not bullate

The one on the site Alto linked to is almost certainly a wendtii cultivar
I very much doubt that the crypt pages have incorrectly labelled those photos ;)

If you mean the Malaysian supplier, at least they seem aware

I had some “C affinis” years ago (through plant club), and yes, it was very prone to melt - I’d have this gorgeous dense crypt carpet, do a perfectly ordinary water change, 3 days later, complete leaf melt - on this cultivar the leaves were not bullate

I very much doubt that the crypt pages have incorrectly labelled those photos ;)

If you mean the Malaysian supplier, at least they seem aware

Certainly looks nothing like any affinis species I've kept or currently keep :lol:

Back