• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Tank - Fire Aqua 1500 x 210 x 240, 10mm low iron glass. 20G / 75 ltr
Stand - Ikea Kallax bookshelf's as stand, with extra soild wood top.
Filter - 1 x 1400lph canister filters (eheim copy)
Light - MML LED Tube on a Cade hanging kit
Hardscape - Bog wood / random wood
Substrate - Gravel
Plants - Anubias and bits of buce
Co2 - Probably slow / low 24/7
Fish - Thinking Pigmy / Dwarf Corys, 20 or so

This tank sat empty for months but today I got around to getting the hardscape setup and things should progress from here, I will keep this journal updated as I go.

IMG_8116-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Tank - Fire Aqua 1500 x 210 x 240, 10mm low iron glass. 20G / 75 ltr
Stand - Ikea Kallax bookshelf's as stand, with extra soild wood top.
Filter - 2 x 1400lph canister filters
Light - MML LED Tube on a Cade hanging kit
Hardscape - Bog wood / random wood
Substrate - Gravel
Plants - Anubias and bits of buce
Co2 - Probably slow / low 24/7
Fish - Thinking Dwarf Corys, 20 or so

This tank sat empty for months but today I got around to getting the hardscape setup and things should progress from here, I will keep this journal updated as I go.

IMG_8116-Edit.jpg

Can’t wait to see this beauty up and running... what Corys are you planning on stocking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t wait to see this beauty up and running... what Corys are you planning on stocking?

Thanks! I am thinking Pygmy corydoras, I have a soft spot for those little guys and have a few in my 12g blackwater tank and they seem to like it in there, I am thinking a nice big school will be interesting to watch

Thanks! I am thinking Pygmy corydoras, I have a soft spot for those little guys and have a few in my 12g blackwater tank and they seem to like it in there, I am thinking a nice big school will be interesting to watch

I love Corys full stop!!.. I have 4 of each, Sterbai, Rusty and Skunk.. they all hang out together in one big group, always on the move... are you planning on stocking anything else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Corys full stop!!.. I have 4 of each, Sterbai, Rusty and Skunk.. they all hang out together in one big group, always on the move... are you planning on stocking anything else?

They are fun fish, I am thinking just pigmy corys, tho probably some otos also, also some red cherry shrimp

Will pygmy corys be ok with that amount of flow? (I don't know the answer... genuine question!)

Love the hardscape and tank dimensions... keep us in the loop on progress!

Excellent use of wood to give that river flow.
Pygmy Corys will love this tank. And it will be interesting to watch the corys rest amongst the wood, and then dart up for a breath.
Have you thought of having a nice long stemmed plant to compliment the flow and have it weaving in and out of the wood like a crinum or similar.

Thanks for the comments all. Glad you like the hardscape, was tricky balancing all the wood and naturally locking it all in place, I dont like using glue or anything, hopefully it holds together :p

Will pygmy corys be ok with that amount of flow? (I don't know the answer... genuine question!)

Love the hardscape and tank dimensions... keep us in the loop on progress!

They should be ok, I am only using 1 filter, my previous scape in this tank used two filters. Being very long tank I am sure the little fish will take refuge down the far end away from the flow.

Excellent use of wood to give that river flow.
Pygmy Corys will love this tank. And it will be interesting to watch the corys rest amongst the wood, and then dart up for a breath.
Have you thought of having a nice long stemmed plant to compliment the flow and have it weaving in and out of the wood like a crinum or similar.

Thanks Gill, I havent allowed for any stem plants or any plants actually planted in the soil, the plan is for just Anubis and a bit of buce attached to the wood, pretty minimal planting

doylecolmdoyle

There are not many tanks & waterscapes done today it's a pity as all members can see it can be done.

When it's fully finished and aged it will be something to sit back and admire.
One question do you have the inlet and outlet at the same end.

Keith:wave::greenfinger:

doylecolmdoyle

There are not many tanks & waterscapes done today it's a pity as all members can see it can be done.

When it's fully finished and aged it will be something to sit back and admire.
One question do you have the inlet and outlet at the same end.

Thanks Keith, at this stage yes both the inlet and outlet will be at the same end (to minimize tube / keep things simple), I could put the inlet / outlet at opposite ends nothing has been hooked up yet, I also have a second filter I could run to have an inlet and outlet at either end, but I think that will created to much flow for the small cory fish.

I am so interested to see the finished product; the placement of the wood is impeccable.

Thanks, I will keep the journal updated!

doylecolmdoyle

5ft tank the water movement at the opposite end would be limited and "might" cause a few concerns. I would also be considering a small fine airstone under the wood in the middle of the tank. Reason your plants will do far better with water movement.

There are safe products that can be used to test your water flow, a member might know of a product.

Really like it and Pygmy Corydoras are one of my favourite fish too. I saw your tank in Reddit too, upvoted of course.

In my mind a pygmy cory setup would have leaf litter, a chain sword and Limnobium laevigatum ( if you can get it down under) for the surface.

doylecolmdoyle

5ft tank the water movement at the opposite end would be limited and "might" cause a few concerns. I would also be considering a small fine airstone under the wood in the middle of the tank. Reason your plants will do far better with water movement.

There are safe products that can be used to test your water flow, a member might know of a product.

Thanks Keith, I will keep an eye on the flow, I do have a second filter (same brand etc) I can add, I may just do that from the start, I did want to avoid running tube up the back of the stand as it is a pain to get out when I want to do water changes.

Really like it and Pygmy Corydoras are one of my favourite fish too. I saw your tank in Reddit too, upvoted of course.

In my mind a pygmy cory setup would have leaf litter, a chain sword and Limnobium laevigatum ( if you can get it down under) for the surface.

Thank you, leaf litter is a good idea, I will probably add some, in Australia we can get "frogbit' which i think is the same as Limnobium laevigatum tho its being banned in some states as it gets into water ways etc, I do have a small amount in my 12g blackwater I will probably add some to this tank

Fantastic work with the wood placement! Couldn’t really be better!

I would think about moving one of the filter pipes to get some flow, though. I think you will end up with v little flow at the left hand side in a 5ft tank, even with a very punchy filter. I have two gyre pumps in my 10ft as the filters didn’t provide much flow in the middle at all.

Back