• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planting Hairgrass (Eleocharis Icicularis)

BarryH

I want to plant an area of Hairgrass (Eleocharis Icicularis) and I'm unsure if there is an ideal minimum distance I can put the plants together. I have plenty of the Hairgrass in Tropica 1-2 Grow Pots but I don't want to put the plants to close together and cause growing problems with no space for the roots to grow.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you're after immediate impact you can plant them as close as you like, but around a couple of cms apart is usually fine.
When they start to spread it's pretty easy to uproot and divide them again and replant if you want more coverage or just need to thin them out.

9839231296_beb80f4051_b-jpg.jpg

If you're after immediate impact you can plant them as close as you like, but around a couple of cms apart is usually fine.
When they start to spread it's pretty easy to uproot and divide them again and replant if you want more coverage or just need to thin them out

Thanks for the help Tim, really appreciated.

with hindsight I didn't break up the plants enough ;)

Thanks for the link to your tank Zeus. As you mentioned above, I was hoping to break apart the 1-2 Grow plants a little more than the bunches in your tank, probably in half again if that's OK?

I was hoping to break apart the 1-2 Grow plants a little more than the bunches in your tank, probably in half again if that's OK?
That'd be fine, I usually aim for around 8 from each pot sometimes a few more https://tropica.com/en/plants/1-2-grow/
  1. Carefully take the plant out of the cup and rinse off the growing media under the tap.
  2. Split the plant in 6-8 portions using your fingers or sharp scissors (for small foreground plants).
  3. Plant portions into the substrate using tweezers. Then watch them grow!
12grow_650_780x191.jpg

Just as a follow up to my original post, with the help of a good pair of tweezers the planting went great. The hairgrass has grown so well I'm having to keep cutting it back. Once more thanks for all the help and advice offered via UKAPS.
Aquarium.jpg

Back