• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Removing algae prior to re planting anubias

Neil M

I have some anubias which I have had growing in my Malawi setup for a few years now. I want to remove these and use them in a future planted tank. They have a bit of black and brown algae on them which comes off easily with a sponge. I thought I read somewhere about dipping them in a weak bleach solution, followed by one of Seachem prime. Is this correct and safe ? Are they worth saving or should I just buy new plants ?

Hi all,
...... Iwant to remove these and use them in a future planted tank. They have a bit of black and brown algae on them which comes off easily with a sponge. ........Are they worth saving or should I just buy new plants ?
I’d just clean them up with a sponge. They are definitely worth saving.

Cheers Darrel

Don't dip them, the leaves will probably die afterward. However, the leaves are quite tough so they should stand up to a gentle clean. I usually cut off the worse affected leaves and rinse the plant under a tepid tap rubbing the leaves gently between my forefinger and thumb, it removes most aglae.

Before...
45508477124_6c4faa3108_b.jpg

After...
45508477434_92ebe2e59f_b.jpg

Thanks for that guys, I think I was getting mixed up with dipping rocks !.

Another question is the rhizome's are about 6" to 7 "long on these, they only seem to put out new growth from the end of the rhizome is there any way to make them branch out . Also if I cut the rhizome to make two plants do both bits need to have leaves. ?

Hi all,
?........Also if I cut the rhizome to make two plants do both bits need to have leaves. ?
They don’t need leaves, the plant has the ability to grow new shoots from the buds in the leaf scars.

It takes a while for the new plant to grow-out.

If you can get the plant growing well before you cut the rhizome you have better chance.

Cheers Darrel

I've heard that you can leave them in a bucket of water in a dark place for a week or two and the plants will be ok, the algae though will have largely dies off by this point and even e.g. BAB can simply be rubbed off if it hasn't fallen off already... not tried it myself... but if you have time, it might save the leaves.

I will just spray 3% peroxide on the leaves and let it sit for 5 min before submerging. Algae eater will clean out the dead algae shortly.

I used to use the coarse side of a sponge to lightly rub on the leaves to get rid of green spot and BBA on anubias leaves. Don't rub too hard though as it might damage the leaves.

Back