• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can anyone recommend some extra long tweezers?

Wookii

Title speaks for itself guys, but I'm after some extra long tweezers, as my standard 300mm ones are struggling in some of the harder to reach areas of my aquarium.

I could do with some around 450mm long, but still staying fairly light and fine. I did order some of these from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019OSK364/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But they weighed about 2 kilos and could have crush walnuts! I need something with the added length (yes, I know, feel free to insert pun of choice), but maintaining the delicacy of standard planting tweezers.

Any suggestions?

I to bought a large set of tweezers but found them too heavy to use delicately and in the you ended up getting just as wet as using a small pair.

I now use something like these for difficult to reach or mid week emergency replants.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07M76HXW5/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_541fEbJ530VN0

Still the best is my Fluval tweezers and a log wet arm.

Thanks Ian. I used to have a pair of those long plastic scissors - it’s one of the items that didn’t survive the 16 year storage. I need the tweezers more for replanting of delegate stems though, I already have some nice JBL scissors that work well.

Which Fluval tweezers is it that you are referring to?

Dont have any which are 450mm long but I do a few pairs 300mm and one stands out head and shoulders above the rest Do!Aqua aka ADA

My current tweezers were just part of a cheap multi-tool set from Amazon. Is there really that much difference with the ADA’s? I do find planting with my existing tweezers frustrating on occasion, as they seem to pull stems back out of the soil as you pull the tweezers out.

Spot the difference

upload_2020-1-12_14-55-4.png

upload_2020-1-12_14-56-23.png

The cost of one cost more than all the others put together plus I got other scaping scissors with them as well. I only use the ADAs ones even if the others are in front of me and have to walk to other room to get them( second down top pic and 10:55 second pic) as they are easier to use all round.

Good tools are noticed when they are in your hand and using them. If starting out get a simple pair. If you enjoy the hobby invest in a pair of ADA tools there is a difference in your hand and use.

Look for culinary tweezers :)

about 9" or 12" or 15"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819M11S7/ref=psdc_289772_t2_B0000C8T92?th=1

Tho they are a tad more Heavy-duty material, obviously, for yanking steaks around in the fry pan.

Thanks Marcel, it was the h'heavy duty' nature of the ones I had from Amazon that were the issue, I kind of need them fine, but long - longer that 15", more like 18". However I'm beginning to suspect 'fine' and 'long' might prove to be mutually exclusive.

Spot the difference

View attachment 130671
View attachment 130672

The cost of one cost more than all the others put together plus I got other scaping scissors with them as well. I only use the ADAs ones even if the others are in front of me and have to walk to other room to get them( second down top pic and 10:55 second pic) as they are easier to use all round.

Good tools are noticed when they are in your hand and using them. If starting out get a simple pair. If you enjoy the hobby invest in a pair of ADA tools there is a difference in your hand and use.

Thanks guys, I have ordered a set of ADA Pinsettes, so I'll see how I get on. They still wont give me the reach I was hoping for, as they max out at 300mm, but hopefully they will prevent some of the annoyance I'm experiencing when using the current tweezers pulling planted plantlets and stem back out.

Thanks Marcel, it was the h'heavy duty' nature of the ones I had from Amazon that were the issue, I kind of need them fine, but long - longer that 15", more like 18". However I'm beginning to suspect 'fine' and 'long' might prove to be mutually exclusive.

I've ordered one from Germany yesterday.. 35cm long, i let you know how heavy duty it is.

They go up to 60cm.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0...in_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&language=en_GB&psc=1

Tho i can not know how this compares with an 18" version.

I have yet no idea.. But i at 18" long, some material strength is required to get some grip at the end. Then you would need a pair made from a very high-quality Titanium or something. Maybe in the Laboratory or surgical equipment? But than again the price will knock you off i guess.

, but hopefully they will prevent some of the annoyance I'm experiencing when using the current tweezers pulling planted plantlets and stem back out.

There is a knack to it...
Grip plants at 45 degrees, push straight down with tweezers at 45, pull out at 45 degrees.
If you push straight down and pull out straight up then you will always get a good amount either pull out or float when filling if your doing initial planting.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

And yes there is a huge difference in quality tools. If your staying in the hobby long term it's well worth investing. Diesnt have to be ADA, tropica stuff is good. Amazon tools are generally toilet! Especially scissors, cheap stuff is good for RSI

There is a knack to it...
Grip plants at 45 degrees, push straight down with tweezers at 45, pull out at 45 degrees.
If you push straight down and pull out straight up then you will always get a good amount either pull out or float when filling if your doing initial planting.

Thanks Iain - yep, that is generally how I try and do it, but I’ve shot myself in the foot a little by using a bit too much hardscape and making some areas a little too tight to access, which means I can only get in vertically. Another lesson learned.

Anyway, I’ve gone ahead and ordered some of the 300mm ADA Pinsettes, so they’ll be 30mm longer than my existing ones - hopefully that will help.

ADA pinsettes and scissors.... don’t touch any of the other tools that are in the house (and tried the lot). Also cured my Tourette’s as well :lol:

It’s not even about brand. Certain JBL tools can be great also. It’s the consistency of manufacturing that the ADA price tag pays for. If anyone else had that consistency I’d endorse them just as quickly... still waiting though.

ADA pinsettes and scissors.... don’t touch any of the other tools that are in the house (and tried the lot). Also cured my Tourette’s as well :lol:

It’s not even about brand. Certain JBL tools can be great also. It’s the consistency of manufacturing that the ADA price tag pays for. If anyone else had that consistency I’d endorse them just as quickly... still waiting though.

Thanks Geoff - I have actually sprung (pun intended!) for the ADA curved spring scissors too - so much for sticking to budget! They have arrived, and are very good indeed. I'm still waiting on the pinsettes to be delivered!

Last edited:
Thanks, yes, let me know. I suspect they'll be like the 'walnut crusher' I also had off Amazon, but hopefully not!

It arrived today and compared to the regular 25cm aquascaping tweezers this 35cm kitchen tong looks like a nutcracker it's 4 times the weight. Then i cannot imagine the 60cm version.

Back