• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Name that deficiency!

Fisher2007

Any ideas what I'm missing in my 3 month old high tech tank...

I moved some frogbit from my low tech 55 litre tank where it thrives (I remove a good handful or more each week as it grows so quick) to my high tech 220 litre tank a few days ago (a week max ago) as an experiment and since adding it the frogbit is going backwards. See pics of both tanks and the frogbit as it is now in the high tech tank as of a minute ago

Or could it be the frogbit just needs a bit of time to transition?

I'm struggling with a bit of BBA in the high tech tank and I'm wondering if something is out of balance in there, hence trying the frogbit. I dose 22ml of TNC complete a day and 5ml TNC carbon a day in the high tech tank vs 4ml of TNC lite and 1ml of TNC carbon in the low tech tank

Attachments

• 20200120_184747.jpg
    20200120_184747.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 203
  • 20200120_184758.jpg
    20200120_184758.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 149
  • 20200120_184811.jpg
    20200120_184811.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 134
It's probably struggling with the relatively high light and surface movement.
Although, BBA would otherwise perhaps indicate poor flow and distribution and unstable CO2.

It's probably struggling with the relatively high light and surface movement.
Although, BBA would otherwise perhaps indicate poor flow and distribution and unstable CO2.

Thanks. Surface movement is probably comparable I'd say. Do you think I need to leave it a bit longer to know for sure then?

As for the BBA. How would CO2 be unstable? I've moved to drop checker around the tank and get the same colour all over. The dropper is consistent in colour from lights on and throughout the lighting period

The diagnosis of the latter is typically the cause of BBA. But too high a light intensity and organics build up are also typical contributors.

However, that said, I can't quite make it out but in the last shot it looks as though both outflows are facing one another at opposite ends at the back of the tank. That might be the source of your problems. It'd perhaps be better if one was placed at the front to give a more laminar gyre type flow.

Hi all,
to my high tech 220 litre tank a few days ago (a week max ago) as an experiment and since adding it the frogbit is going backwards.
It looks OK, I don't think the holes in the leaves are deficiency signs, they look more like they have been caused by a water droplet on the leaf causing lensing.

In higher light Limnobium tends to <"grow thicker leaves">.

Keep an eye out for yellowing (like below), if the new leaves <"start to yellow">, that is a good indicator that the plant is becoming iron (Fe) deficient.

dad12186cb152cccee11028dc11c34f4.jpg

cheers Darrel

Back