• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting a 1 meter deep thank.

Dreds

I'm looking for suggestions for lighting a 1 meter deep thank.
High light that is dimmable.
Is there anything on the market or am I looking at something like flood lighting.

Personally, I'd be giving LED flood lights my attention especially if cost is a factor, but I guess it boils down to what plants you hope to grow?

Thanks Tim.
I haven’t decided on plants yet. When the hardscaoe is done, then I’ll know which plants.
But I’d like the option to grow the likes of HC Cuba at substrate level.

Okay, lighting is important for sure, but good CO2 flow and distribution is probably more important for the likes of HC Cuba. It's grown for me in middling light, but the CO2 has been on point. So getting the CO2 right is key and likely more challenging in a 1 meter deep tank, especially as hardscape usually complicates flow.
And I hear what you're saying about having the option and using HC as an example, but also consider alternatives as well which might make your life a little easier. For instance MC is a good alternative to HC as it's less fussy about light and CO2 conc, They look very similar; I struggle to tell them apart after they've grown in.
Plus, both will need regular trimming, so you might want to think about which plants will make maintenance less of a chore, or you'll be suffering soggy shirt sleeves and donning a mask and snorkel on a regular basis...:confused:

1 meter deep and HC :eek:
That's going to take some doing without algae issues ! Never mind the trimming. Mine is 50cm deep 60cm with bracing and hood and with hood on reaching the carpet is a PITA as your can't see the substrate level and reach it at the same time !
But like Tim says good flow will be critical

Cheers guys but the HC was just an example for light levels.
Sure lots of flow and Co2 would be needed not to mention the near impossible trimming.
I can’t see myself growing Cuba in anything more than 60cm.
It’s the lighting options I’m interested in for now.

Hi all,
I'd be giving LED flood lights my attention
Same for me.

A 50W cool white LED flood light is going to ~20 euro, and they will be rated IP65 and pretty water-proof.

You might be able to do something with <"dimmable panel lights">, if you wanted some control. These are only rated at IP20, so you would need to do some water proofing.

These would work out more money than flood lights, but still a lot cheaper than an equivalent "aquarium" light.
To be certain I would get something for industrial hydroponics like this.
Now that is a serious bit of kit, but I'd be worried about aircraft mistaking it for run-way lights and landing on my house.

I've used <"400W HPS lighting in the past">, but it is seriously bright.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
As per Tim I would definitely consider access as well as lighting in a 1 metre deep tank. My old 1000 litre marine system was 30 inches deep and that was bad enough when it came to any kind of maintenance. At 1 metre I think you're into mask and snorkel territory!

Back