• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to add cosmetic sand

DD1880

I was going to get a fluval flex 9 gallon and do my first actual scape. I was going to use seiryu stone and spider wood on either side to make a sand path to try and create some depth. On the left and the right of the path I was going to fill it in with Controsoil to use as a substrate for the plants. I always see them add sand dry in these Aquascaping videos like George farmers you tube channel or jurijs or green aqua by just pouring it it. It never looks pre rinsed. So is it not really necessary to pre rinse sand before setting up the scape? It looks a lot easier to works with dry so if I don’t have to I’d rather not rinse it. Any advise would be appreciated, thanks!

DD1880

If I was doing it I would wash the sand first and let it dry then pour it as required.

Keith:wave::greenfinger:
Haha I was thinking that. Thanks for the confirmation. Just weird how every time I watch those videos they are pouring it right in and you just see a cloud of dust! Thought the would prep the sand more than that but the tanks look crystal clear after they fill it. Better safe than sorry I guess.

Yes, you can indeed add without washing.
Its all about disturbance, you dont want to agitate the sand. So water is added very slowly. And a barrier is used to also aid this like paper towels or newspaper covering the sand/soil areas. This was you can add the water without any agitation of the soil and sand layers. Thus reducing and chance of the dust within the sand being released.

Yes, you can indeed add without washing.
Its all about disturbance, you dont want to agitate the sand. So water is added very slowly. And a barrier is used to also aid this like paper towels or newspaper covering the sand/soil areas. This was you can add the water without any agitation of the soil and sand layers. Thus reducing and chance of the dust within the sand being released.
Sounds good thanks. I was planning on adding water like that anyway so I might just try that instead of the whole washing process! Just would hate to have cloudy water later on because I didn’t wash it initially! Thanks for the advise!

I went through this same question two days ago - I poured the sand right in (just like the videos -- I'll admit, I felt cool ... lol). Then when I filled the tank I did not cover the top of the sand (I figured my flow is slow enough it won't agitate it) -- definitely agitated it up and I had sand push over into my aquasoil and some aquasoil spill over into my sand. I am dark starting it to cycle the tank while I wait for the lights and plants, so I wasn't concerned about the initial debris (I skimmed the top with a fish net).

In the future, I'd do it the same way again, except cover the sand with a plastic bag where the water for the water fill hits.

Cheers,
Josh

I went through this same question two days ago - I poured the sand right in (just like the videos -- I'll admit, I felt cool ... lol). Then when I filled the tank I did not cover the top of the sand (I figured my flow is slow enough it won't agitate it) -- definitely agitated it up and I had sand push over into my aquasoil and some aquasoil spill over into my sand. I am dark starting it to cycle the tank while I wait for the lights and plants, so I wasn't concerned about the initial debris (I skimmed the top with a fish net).

In the future, I'd do it the same way again, except cover the sand with a plastic bag where the water for the water fill hits.

Cheers,
Josh
Yeah I was planning on covering it with plastic or paper towels! Thanks for the heads up though! I’m just hoping that the plastic doesn’t move as soon as the water hits and have the same result anyway haha

Also, buy clean sand. Ifyou buy posh aquarium sand it probably is. If you are just buying feom DIY shop buy play sand or somethingthat says its been washed.
K
Ok thanks. I bought CaribSea supernaturals moonlight color. Not sure if anyone has experience with that brand?

Similar to a few others I went through the same process. I bought Unipac Maui and Fiji and Limpopo sand and following advice on here I washed the sand well in cool water and let it dry in a bowl placed in front of a radiator, then used it in the tank.

Ok thanks. I bought CaribSea supernaturals moonlight color. Not sure if anyone has experience with that brand?

The Caribsea needs to be washed alot, otherwise it will form lots of floating bubbles filled with sand.

The Caribsea needs to be washed alot, otherwise it will form lots of floating bubbles filled with sand.
Actually that is the one I used :lol::lol:. I skimmed the top as it was filling (the pockets could settle on the aqua soil though and mess the scape) and like I said I wasn’t concerned because it is running in the dark for a few weeks anyways.

The sand is gorgeous.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the heads up! I would hate to have sand mixed in the Aquasoil.

Actually that is the one I used :lol::lol:. I skimmed the top as it was filling (the pockets could settle on the aqua soil though and mess the scape) and like I said I wasn’t concerned because it is running in the dark for a few weeks anyways.

The sand is gorgeous.
Cool thanks! Good to know! I can’t wait to scape this tank! Haha I just hope I wash the sand enough.

Back