• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

3rd Time Lucky 45p

I do normally clean the prefilter a lot more often than main filter compartment but maybe not weekly as i should.

Should be done weekly to stop the need for cleaning mail filter as often and to help with any reduction in flow hence helping to combat alge

Are them pre-filter sponges correct size or need cut to size and i think may do same thing and replace the prefilters. But is that the logic that staghorn alage may be trapped in the prefilters or bad bacteria/alage is in the dirty prefilters?
None of the oase pre filter sponges need cutting
If your pre filter sponges are dirty there going to reduce flow and not filter the water as it should be there fore giving alge the edge in the tank hence why your getting a little now I would think I would clean your filter out and start to clean the sponges weekly the pre filter sponges are not for any kind biological filtration

Should be done weekly to stop the need for cleaning mail filter as often and to help with any reduction in flow hence helping to combat alge

None of the oase pre filter sponges need cutting
If your pre filter sponges are dirty there going to reduce flow and not filter the water as it should be there fore giving alge the edge in the tank hence why your getting a little now I would think I would clean your filter out and start to clean the sponges weekly the pre filter sponges are not for any kind biological filtration
Thanks for that jay when i said are they cut to size i was regarding to the pre filter sponges you recommended the more coarse ones ?

Will my biological filtration be the main filter compartment that i have 3 large sponges in and tubes in bottom rack and these have all the biological bacteria etc that support the life in the aquarium ?

So the prefilter is just to catch the larger particles of dead plant mass etc, and a more coarser prefilter sponge improve flow and thus reduce the alage etc.

Does that sounds right as its very helpful to me and any link to more coarse spomges would be great if you think would help.

Thanks dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

regarding to the pre filter sponges you recommended the more coarse ones ?
Yeah you can buy them in pack of 4 or 6 think there are 4 diffrent kinds you can get fine medium course and cardon
Will my biological filtration be the main filter compartment that i have 3 large sponges in and tubes in bottom rack and these have all the biological bacteria etc that support the life in the aquarium ?
Yes all the good stuff is in the main compartment that should always be cleaned in aqaurium water never tap it sounds to ke like you have way to.much sponge in there filter trays should be as follows
Bottom tray course sponge catches all dirt
Next tray biological media (tubes)
Then depending on size of filter
Another tray of biological media
Top tray filter floss to polish the water as it returns to the aquarium
So the prefilter is just to catch the larger particles of dead plant mass etc, and a more coarser prefilter sponge improve flow and thus reduce the alage etc.
Yeah that's exactly right mate that's why they made them so easy to remove and clean

https://www.swelluk.com/biomaster-r...8jEjlN2b2MfKyEdWJFrtgV1pJ-IVy36xoCEzkQAvD_BwE

Personally I'd look at cardon ones

https://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/...gvIMZrQiH7JtidQvaP2NX57PPSdszN-hoCTrYQAvD_BwE

Cheers
J

Hi all,
But is that the logic that staghorn alage may be trapped in the prefilters or bad bacteria/alage is in the dirty prefilters?
We don't really know, but outbreaks of Staghorn Algae appear to often be preceded by a period when there has been higher than <"normal levels of organic pollution"> (dissolved organic matter - DOM).

If you have a fine sponge pre-filter it will trap a lot of this fine organic carbon (a sort of mechanical polishing). If you don't regularly clean the pre-filter over time that fine organic matter will build up and start to decompose. At some point oxygen will become limiting for decomposition and we think that may be the trigger for Staghorn Algae growth. I like to make sure all the <"filter media is aerobic">, I don't want anaerobic denitrification because plants are very efficient at mopping up any residual NO3 (from aerobic nitrification).

That Staghorn "trigger" might be an increase in trace levels of ammonia or nitrite or of a particular chemical, we just don't know. This is all conjecture, but people are using a <"similar approach to look at the precursors to water pollution">.

cheers Darrel

Yeah you can buy them in pack of 4 or 6 think there are 4 diffrent kinds you can get fine medium course and cardon

Yes all the good stuff is in the main compartment that should always be cleaned in aqaurium water never tap it sounds to ke like you have way to.much sponge in there filter trays should be as follows
Bottom tray course sponge catches all dirt
Next tray biological media (tubes)
Then depending on size of filter
Another tray of biological media
Top tray filter floss to polish the water as it returns to the aquarium

Yeah that's exactly right mate that's why they made them so easy to remove and clean

https://www.swelluk.com/biomaster-r...8jEjlN2b2MfKyEdWJFrtgV1pJ-IVy36xoCEzkQAvD_BwE

Personally I'd look at cardon ones

https://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/...gvIMZrQiH7JtidQvaP2NX57PPSdszN-hoCTrYQAvD_BwE

Cheers
J
Thanks so much j for all that greatly appreciated i never chnaged the filter media from when filter came except i addes into the bag of tubes some more fluval ones.

The filter has tray on bottom of plastic and fluval tubes then rest are all sponge material i may have to change i think i will post a question in the filter section see what others who have these filters use.

Thanks again j

Hi all, We don't really know, but outbreaks of Staghorn Algae appear to often be preceded by a period when there has been higher than <"normal levels of organic pollution"> (dissolved organic matter - DOM).

If you have a fine sponge pre-filter it will trap a lot of this fine organic carbon (a sort of mechanical polishing). If you don't regularly clean the pre-filter over time that fine organic matter will build up and start to decompose. At some point oxygen will become limiting for decomposition and we think that may be the trigger for Staghorn Algae growth. I like to make sure all the <"filter media is aerobic">, I don't want anaerobic denitrification because plants are very efficient at mopping up any residual NO3 (from aerobic nitrification).

That Staghorn "trigger" might be an increase in trace levels of ammonia or nitrite or of a particular chemical, we just don't know. This is all conjecture, but people are using a <"similar approach to look at the precursors to water pollution">.

cheers Darrel
Thanks for that darrel very interesting do you usually got for more coarser pre filters.

Dean

Hi all,
do you usually got for more coarser pre filters
Ideally I like a <"really big block of foam">. They work for me because I don't do aesthetics and have really weedy tanks. I use these on filter intakes as well as powerheads etc.

-php-attachmentid-15562-stc-1-d-1254795378-jpg-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Hi all, Ideally I like a <"really big block of foam">. They work for me because I don't do aesthetics and have really weedy tanks. I use these on filter intakes as well as powerheads etc.

-php-attachmentid-15562-stc-1-d-1254795378-jpg-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel
That looks coarse and not fine think i will get some new pre filter sponges to improve flow and also hopefully wont clog up as easy with organic matter.

Are the 30ppi ones more fine than the 60ppi ones is the ppi how large particles are what theh catch or allow through ?

Thanks dean

Hi all,
Are the 30ppi ones more fine than the 60ppi ones is the ppi how large particles are what theh catch or allow through ?
PPI is "Pores Per Inch", so the higher the number the finer the sponge is.
That looks coarse
They are ~PPI15.

You can buy them from any Koi place relatively cheaply.

I don't like any sponge finer than PPI20. If you use them for <"matten filters"> you can go a bit finer, but even then <"PPI30 is as fine as I would go">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, PPI is "Pores Per Inch", so the higher the number the finer the sponge is. They are ~PPI15.

You can buy them from any Koi place relatively cheaply.

I don't like any sponge finer than PPI20. If you use them for <"matten filters"> you can go a bit finer, but even then <"PPI30 is as fine as I would go">.

cheers Darrel
Brilliant thanks darrel , i am learning slowly but surely, basically dont go to fine or coarse as will clog up with organic waste and slow the flow down and de compose and trigger algae

Hi all, We don't really know, but outbreaks of Staghorn Algae appear to often be preceded by a period when there has been higher than <"normal levels of organic pollution"> (dissolved organic matter - DOM).

cheers Darrel

Very useful reading, thanks!

Hi all,
Very useful reading
It is an interesting area. There is some discussion in the <"So what is organic waste?"> thread.
basically dont go to fine or coarse as will clog up with organic waste and slow the flow down and de compose and trigger algae
Yes, if you have a coarse sponge you need a bigger block (greater thickness) but you can leave it much longer between cleanings (like a matten filter). I just don't like fine sponge or floss, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with it but it means you have to be a lot more conscientious with your cleaning regime.

It is the same with not having any form of pre-filter and using your filter as a syphon. If you are very conscientious about cleaning it doesn't matter, but I think it is always likely to be "out of sight, out of mind" sooner or later, and it is just a risk factor you can avoid.

In terms of organic pollution as a precursor of Staghorn Algae outbreaks we really don't know why, or even if, it is one. <"It is just "best guess">, but if it is out there as an idea people may be able to see if there is a correlation, even though <"correlation is not necessarily the same as causation">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, It is an interesting area. There is some discussion in the <"So what is organic waste?"> thread.Yes, if you have a coarse sponge you need a bigger block (greater thickness) but you can leave it much longer between cleanings (like a matten filter). I just don't like fine sponge or floss, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with it but it means you have to be a lot more conscientious with your cleaning regime.

It is the same with not having any form of pre-filter and using your filter as a syphon. If you are very conscientious about cleaning it doesn't matter, but I think it is always likely to be "out of sight, out of mind" sooner or later, and it is just a risk factor you can avoid.

In terms of organic pollution as a precursor of Staghorn Algae outbreaks we really don't know why, or even if, it is one. <"It is just "best guess">, but if it is out there as an idea people may be able to see if there is a correlation, even though <"correlation is not necessarily the same as causation">.

cheers Darrel
Thanks again very helpful. I dont understand the science behind it all but get the general idea and makes sense.

I may post in the filter section to see if many people change the filter media out from whats supplied with the oase range.

One question i do have is what ppi are the carbon pre filter sponges from oase ? I know carbon is meant to clean the water to make more clear, any should sponges last a long time if cleaned weekly ?

If the carbon ones are 30ppi i will get then as thats what the most coarse ones are for the oase prefilters.

Thanks dean

Yeah Richard knows his stuff and has lots of interesting content on his channel aside from the 'Pimp My Filter' series... DIY filters, etc,. I get that he is looking to promote his product but his experience and passion appears genuine.

Being from my part of the world means he gets bonus points too! Love the auto-subtitles that YouTube provides for his videos!

@Deano3 might be worth giving this a watch
Thanks for that nick at work now but just watched few mins and looks interesting so will watch that before i order any pre filter pads haha, do many people change the insides of the filter i never really thought about it much but does it make a big difference if a lot more beneficial bacteria in filter etc ?

If anyone does know the ppi of the carbon filters that would be great but will watch when get home.

Cheers dean

What you do have to really remember though he is all about fish bio loads not planted tank and plant mass that is why he crams them full of biological media but in our world plants do so much of that for you so it's not as relevant as it seems

What you do have to really remember though he is all about fish bio loads not planted tank and plant mass that is why he crams them full of biological media but in our world plants do so much of that for you so it's not as relevant as it seems
Totally agree - but the way I look at it it is better to have too much than not enough... Even if it just means you get a little longer in maintenance time. And you don't have to go all out like Richard has done but tweak it for your needs. It's interesting to see the immediate changes he suggests and references flow issues being reported and how that may be over come by some 'simple' tweaks to media layout.

Thanks for that nick at work now but just watched few mins and looks interesting so will watch that before i order any pre filter pads haha, do many people change the insides of the filter i never really thought about it much but does it make a big difference if a lot more beneficial bacteria in filter etc ?

If anyone does know the ppi of the carbon filters that would be great but will watch when get home.

Cheers dean

I've not modified the internal parts of my filters but where possible I have used Richard's concepts of mechanical filtration becoming finer and then as much biological media as possible in the remaining space.

Back