• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter recommendations

Ashley_1988

Seedling
Hi,

In the near future I am going to be setting up a Dennerle Scaper's 55l and will is this for my Ancistrus Claro. I am planning on scaping the tank with wood, a few smooth river stones and easy to maintain plants such as anubis, java moss and maybe vallisineria.

I currently run two air powered sponge filters in my Nano Cube 60 but was looking at possibly buying a small external filter for the 55l. I do have an Eheim 2213 but I do not like how it doesn't have a self prime function. Would you suggest still using this or purchasing another type of external? I have looked at the APS 1000 ef which looks good for the price.

Last edited:
See my post about the APS unit, it’s noisy as hell. I also had one of their lights which filled up with water and blew the LEDs after one week of use, they refused to replace it

I use a SCAPERS FLOW on my 50L Dennerle tank and its pretty quite and easy to maintain, it just hangs on the back, they do seem to be a little harder to get hold off as well so price seems to have increased a bit. Not as cheap as the APS 1000 EF but the scapers flow just hangs on the back and has a lily pipe output

Just noticed

SunSun HBL-801 Hang on Filter Attachment Filter 500L/H 60 L Aquarium
upload_2020-2-9_9-20-8.png

Which isnt too expensive and may be a worth consideration

Hi all,
Welcome Ashley, I recognise your username, so I'll link in your <"PC thread">, as a lot of members here won't be members of PlanetCatfish as well.
do have an Eheim 2213 but I do not like how it doesn't have a self prime function. Would you suggest still using this or purchasing another type of external?
I'm an <"Eheim Classic"> fan and I actually see <"not having a self prime"> as definitely an advantage in a filter. It cuts out a source of leaks etc. I use the traditional "suck on the outlet hose to start filling the filter" method, but there are other options.

If you don't have <"Eheim double taps"> for the top and bottom hoses? They are worth purchasing, and mean that you need to actually drain the filter much less frequently. You could have a single tap on the outlet hose if you want to save a bit of money.

I'm really <"keen on a sponge filter on the intake"> for the same reason. If I was keeping fish that like flow and oxygenation, like your <"Ancistrus claro">, it is <"really important"> that <"bits of plant etc"> don't end up in the filter.

cheers Darrel

If you don't have <"Eheim double taps"> for the top and bottom hoses? They are worth purchasing, and mean that you need to actually drain the filter much less frequently. You could have a single tap on the outlet hose if you want to save a bit of money.

I have double sets of taps on the filter as well. It has been unused in nearly 3 years so will need a good clean and filter media replacing but I think I may just go with this seeing as I have it and see how I go.

If I were to buy the shorter lid from ProShrimp do you know if the inlet/outlet would then fit in the gap provided by the shorter lid?

Attachments

• IMG_20200216_181952.jpg
    IMG_20200216_181952.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 71
Back