• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Noisy APS 1400

Tinytom

I have a new APS external filter and it’s driving me mad, it sounds like an old lawn mower. Has anybody else got one? Are they always this noisy or is the unit faulty? Iv purged all the air so it’s not that.

Next question if it is just a trait filter, I’ll get a new filter. Which brands are the quietest? The tank is 140L
Cheers

No, it's not normal.

I had two of the 2000lph versions and they were very quiet from new. They even got quieter after around a month as there can sometimes be a "break in" period for the motor.

I'd check that the baskets are all seated correctly and are not over filled as that can cause some noise. Otherwise, I'm sure APS would be happy to replace it.

No, it's not normal.

I had two of the 2000lph versions and they were very quiet from new. They even got quieter after around a month as there can sometimes be a "break in" period for the motor.

I'd check that the baskets are all seated correctly and are not over filled as that can cause some noise. Otherwise, I'm sure APS would be happy to replace it.
So iv stripped it down and rearranged all the media after watching loads of YouTube videos and it’s now running quieter than before, it’s still there but a lot better. is there such a thing as too much flow? Iv ditches the plastic balls that came with the filter and added extra filter floss and seachem matrix which has freed up the flow more but it’s actually pulling air down the skimmer now, not a deal but these small bubbles will add up.
Do you think some fine stainless mesh will steady the slow down the skimmer while saving my cherry shrimp at the same time?

Too much flow is subjective but I'd hazard a guess that your canister won't be excessive.

I had a 2800lph Resun that physically dug up the gravel at the front of the tank and sent a gourami or two flying... That's too much (fixed with a four inch wide outlet!).

My Sunsuns/APS filters always pulled air through the skimmers and I never managed to fix it... Just gave them a tilt once a day to evacuate the air.

Too much flow is subjective but I'd hazard a guess that your canister won't be excessive.

I had a 2800lph Resun that physically dug up the gravel at the front of the tank and sent a gourami or two flying... That's too much (fixed with a four inch wide outlet!).

My Sunsuns/APS filters always pulled air through the skimmers and I never managed to fix it... Just gave them a tilt once a day to evacuate the air.
Thanks for the reply, it’s definetly not diffing up the substrate lol, I’m relieved iv managed to sort the issue I really didn’t want to shell out for a new filter. Iv ordered some really fine mesh so will try that in the skimmer and hope for the best

I have one. Shaving off any lumps on the impeller housing can help to reduce noise. Best bet would be to add flow control valves. Personally I find them quite atrocious.

I have one. Shaving off any lumps on the impeller housing can help to reduce noise. Best bet would be to add flow control valves. Personally I find them quite atrocious.
Iv put some very fine mesh in the skimmer inlet I think that’s calmed it down slightly.
I will get a new filter at some point though

Back